Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Looking Forward to Fall!

KNITTING
Just a quick post to keep you updated on the Icelandic Sweater project, or "My Stab @ Steeking"

I do enjoy this process; the whole thing.  From carding and spinning the yarn, to learning about chart reading, and knitting the sweater itself.  I particularly like knitting in the round, rather than back and forth on straight needles.

Knitting in the round 1410

 The feel of this sweater is soft, and adding angora in the carding process makes it more lofty and less stiff.  So, here's my progress, which doesn't look like much!
Back of sweater with short rows added

Front of sweater with steek row


These little stars are a great diversion, especially as a take-along type of knitting. It makes me excited as we turn the corner toward fall, and the thought of Christmas knitting is inspiring me.  Woo hoo!!
Christmas ornaments from scrap yarn

PERSONAL
With the thought in mind that Fall is near, I've taken back my lax cooking habits, and am replacing them with a decided plan for meals in the coming weeks.  I love the Stephen Covey philosophy about being proactive with your life.  This is one of those areas that, for me, need attention: cooking.

Pinterest has tons of recipes scattered among the flat-abs pictures that make me suck in my tummy every time I look at one.  So I'm ignoring the exercise pictures and taking a cue from my maternal ancestors to cook and soothe my soul with some good old fashioned cooking.

My old day timer and Grandma's cookbook
I've got lots of sticky notes marking my favorite recipes, and menus jotted down in my old day-timer.  I am about fed up with all the digital tools we have that supposedly make our life easier.  Poppycock!  Smart phones are more like dumb-phones when it comes to wasting my time.  I am less efficient when I'm scanning emails and social updates.  I'm more efficient when my thoughts are written down physically, and even shopping is more efficient, if I've written down my list after studying my recipes/menu ideas. 
Proof of this method working - last night we had Shrimp Creole for dinner (my father in law's birthday) and the old fashioned recipe was a hit.  And it totally reminded me of my mom's Shrimp Creole.  Growing up on the Gulf Coast, we ate this dish as much as most people eat Spaghetti!