We're all prone to addictions whether we like it or not. Essentially, if we engage in destructive behavior and those around us allow it to continue, we will persist in the selfish patterns we were born with. Sometimes we are blessed to have people who care about us enough to tell us when our selfishness is becoming bothersome to others. Maybe a swat on the behind when we're three. Maybe restriction when we're thirteen. And hopefully when we're grown, a boss to tell us to end the poo-poo or we're fired.
Others may not be so fortunate. Those around them coddle the selfish, manipulative behavior probably because they're too tired to rock the boat anymore and deal with the tantrums.
I didn't take my Sunday afternoon nap today, because I watched a program about this on TV. It is unsettling how common this is. I see it everyday and I'm sure I'm guilty of it on many levels. (Either the addict or the enabler.)
I believe there's always hope though. And I believe that sometimes it's up to us to do the uncomfortable thing and speak the truth. Or discontinue the pattern.
On a happier note, a pattern I have come to love is the Feather and Fan pattern. This June bug wrap has been a joy to knit and it makes me proud to say I made it myself. From the silk hankies I spun into thread on my wheel. Then plied the strands to make the yarn. And finally knitting the wrap to completion. This is one addiction that will definitely take an intervention to get me away from! Ooooweee, I do love my knitting. (Don't even start with my coffee!)
I am, however looking at trying my hand at weaving soon. I got this little baby out the other day, while cleaning in the garage.
I have been inspired lately by a couple of talented ladies, and want to follow their noble example and give weaving a try. It's been a while, so I'm gonna have to seek out some help!