Most of us have at one time or another, been gifted a plant. Sometimes they are for indoors, and sometimes they are meant to be planted outside. I have a friend who is a Master Gardener and she was "cleaning out" her back yard of unwanted plants several years ago. We had not been in our house for very long at the time, and I was more than happy to take the extra plants off her hands. Most of them have worked out really well, and I'm ever so grateful for her generosity.
But one plant, while beautiful and healthy, has begun to take over and manipulate (yes I said manipulate) the other plants in the vicinity.
![]() |
| Garden of Eden - NOT |
The blooms have gradually ceased because of the competition with the other plants. And the roots of the wisteria have literally strangled the once healthy hydrangea underneath.
![]() |
| Wisteria vs. Hydrangea - no contest |
This bully plant comes on strong with vines, leaves galore, and quick growing shade. What's not apparent is what's going on underground. The roots are growing wide and deep, surrounding other plants' root systems like a zombie invasion. And the roots of a wisteria can't be pruned like their vines overhead. I had intended today to just move the shrubs underneath to a new location, allowing them more morning sun, and less competition for water.
![]() |
| Insidious Roots |
But no, there was NO moving the shrub, because on further inspection, I could see that the wisteria roots had taken over the neighborhood like the gang in West Side Story. Surely they've been snapping their fingers and flipping their switchblades when I wasn't looking!
This morning I knew I had one day to either move or remove whichever plant I determined was the problem. Clearly it was the seductive wisteria. It kills me how much I've bragged on this vine and Instagram-ed pictures of the almost non-existent blooms. No more. I sawed and clipped and pruned until my arms gave out. That sucker is toast. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
SPINNING
I did actually participate in the Spinzilla challenge, although not online. The colored wools that were dyed back in the summer found their way to my spindles and wheels. Maybe mittens??
![]() |
| Purples, Greens and Blues |
KNITTING
This afternoon my ever protesting muscle groups made their demands. Espresso and knitting until time for supper. Espresso has been deposited to my tummy. Now for the knitting.
I'm watching Eunny Jang's video on how to knit cables from a chart, and found the inspiration I was looking for. Ah yes!
One of the things on my New Years Resolution list was to learn to knit cables from a chart. I can cable just fine, and really enjoy it, but complicated cable patterns make me look away. I'm all of a sudden shy, and I know why.
I don't want to flex my mental muscles and learn a new technique. (By the way, I learned how to spell t-e-ch-n-i-qu-e today. It has a CH where I would've put just a C)
Anyway, I'm out to learn to knit cables from a chart, and that may just take me all the way to Christmas. Guess what you're getting for Christmas, honey?





