Yesterday afternoon, my daughter and her husband joined us for lunch, and brought a little
Christmas DVD they'd picked up at the store. We turned it on and after just a little while, we were
all in the Christmas spirit, thinking about trees, decorations and cooking for the holidays.
I have fired up some scents in the house to keep the mood going; balsam fir candle in the kitchen and holiday spice candle in the master bathroom. I made myself a double shot of espresso just now, and found the filter to look a lot like a snowflake or Star of David.
Cleaning the house and getting out all the recipes for Thanksgiving dinner, I remember meals from the past, both good and bad. The worst will always be the spinach casserole with potato chip topping made by my grandmother, that I later lost while "calling Ralph on the big white phone" if you know what I mean.
I remember drinking a whole glass of my uncle's strawberry wine, thinking it was Coke (it was in a red Dixie cup). I remember it being a lot warmer going down that Coke usually was.
Nowadays, Thanksgiving means cooking all day, eating for 30 minutes and cleaning the kitchen for a couple of hours. And this year I hear all the stores are opening up Thanksgiving Day evening, as opposed to waiting for Black Friday. Not sure what to think of that! HO Ho ho!
Either way, I'm looking forward to the holiday season, and even more so, now that we have a little granddaughter to share it with. I definitely feel
blessed, and am recognizing all the wonderful things
I already have.
I love this brass colored yarn I've been spinning - I think its the perfect fall color!
And I finished the prayer shawl, blocked it and photographed it. From blocking, to packing it up for the postman, here is the Baby Blue Mohair Swallowtail Shawl!
 |
| Soaking |
 |
| ready to be pinned |
 |
| pinning and blocking |
 |
| full size and drying |
 |
| Swallowtail unpinned and soft as a feather |
 |
| finished edges |
 |
| center point |
 |
| folded once |
 |
| ready for shipping! |