Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Make it snappy, will ya?

SPINNING 
In order to keep my spinning challenge for the Tour de Fleece 2013, I'm doing a little less knitting and a heck of a lot more spinning.  Woo Hoo!   It works out really, since I've completed the major job of picking and carding virtually all my wool.  What better way to kick off the second half of this wonderful year, than to spin like there's no tomorrow? 
Midi spindle laying out by the plants,  trying to get a tan!
I finished a spindle full and wound it off so that I could start this stuff.  LOVE IT.   So darn pretty with the vivid blue and yellow.  Downright adorable if I do say so myself!
I've been posting on Instagram, and tagging my pics with at least #tdf13 and #tourdefleece so that I feel like I'm playing with the big dogs.  If you didn't know, Instagram has the same principle as Twitter regarding hashtags, and you can search for almost anything.  (Beware, though!)
First spindle full, after day 2
My Instagram name is brendamyfrienda, and I guess that's no surprise.  On Twitter I'm @brendamyfrienda although I'm not really posting to Twitter for the Tour de Fleece.


Beauty contest winner  "STORMY" on a lace flyer!
And this is the dirty looking lint-like roving  that I dyed over the weekend.  It is stunning in this deep stormy blue.  Guess what I'm calling it?  Gosh you're right!   "STORMY"
I got out my lace flyer for the Ashford Traveler and set the bobbin whorl on about medium for lace.  Its as fine as sewing thread, and the 3 ply skein of yarn that I worked on today, is about a sport weight.  It should make some lucky relative a nice Christmas present!  Maybe a necktie for my dad.......just kidding!


KNITTING
 I'm taking Watermelon socks to the 4th of July picnic!
Watermelon ribbed socks, just in time for the 4th of July
I had to try my self striping Watermelon yarn from a few months ago.  It feels almost like cotton, but its wool.  The stripes are a bit random, but I wound off enough of one of the balls so that at least they both started with a variegated green-white border at the top.   The heels and toes will probably also match each other if I can remember to do that. 

I'm taking the knitting to my brother in law's house for the 4th of July picnic at his house.  They have a pool, a movie theater in the basement, and best of all, no chores for me to do!  I love going anywhere that doesn't remind me that I need to dust my baseboards or do the dishes in the sink. 
So....I'm taking my little socks and my Tour de Fleece project,  and maybe a little audio book or some podcasts to listen to while I'm laying out by the pool!