Saturday, June 29, 2013

We Interrupt This Program

Do you remember in the early days of television, when breaking news was signaled by an anchorman (never a woman) who said, "We interrupt this program to bring you a special news report" ?
Please Stand By
Well, I'm about to interrupt the program, and I'm talking about some habits that have formed like dust-bunnies.  Habits that just happen, without realizing that they're a part of your life. You know what I'm talking about!
At the first of the year, I posted about my resolutions for the year and my desire to do more "off the grid" stuff.  So far I feel pretty successful, but I'm ready to take it up a notch.  It is normal for folks here in North America to take a summer vacation or holiday, usually in the months of June, July or August.  And I'm thinking of taking a semi-off-the-grid vacation for the next several weeks.  I'm talking about being glued to the internet and my cell phone; the constant need to glance at my phone and check my email or social networking accounts.  I'm talking about the opportunity I have to make a real effort at reading an actual paper, or magazine.  Like, reading the words, not looking at the captions under the pictures. 

My husband and I have an opportunity in the next week to have several days of uninterrupted time without certain obligations.  Being caregivers is a 24/7/365 sort of thing.  Kind of like being a parent to a child, you are never fully disengaged from your responsibility.  I can tell we are ready for this vacation, and my husband in particular, who had a tiny little meltdown last week over peanut butter.  Actually, he was just venting, but it was unusual for him.

SPINNING
So, since the Tour de France has started, and Ravelry has invited everyone who spins to be a part of the Tour de Fleece, I am joining in.  I have lots of wool to spin, and the Tour de Fleece starts Saturday June 29 and runs until Sunday July 21nd, 2013. The perfect opportunity for me to spend about 3 weeks doing what I love to do.  Spin, and of course, knit!

Light purple and my mini Bosworth

Light and dark purple with both Bosworth spindles
Here's my start for the challenge.  I spun and plied a skein first thing this morning, and this afternoon, joined Team Spindlers, and will be spindle spinning with my mini and midi Bosworths.

The colors of the Tour de France 2013 (yellow and gray)

KNITTING
Here are the TWO cable ribbed socks that have taken a whole month to knit.  Well, hey, at least I knit them.  And doing two at a time, even on DPNs is the way to go.  Not kidding.  It IS the best way to knit socks, and don't kid yourself that you don't get second-sock-syndrome. 

Closing the toe and closing the book on these socks!

Its a well know fact that everyone gets it, and you and I both know you have to admit you have a problem, before you can get help.  So, bite the bullet, and from now on, knit two at a time, okay?

Done!  Ready for a cold, wintry night.

They are reversible, by the way.

PERSONAL
So, back to the personal off-the-grid challenge for the next 25 or so days.  I read this article that really got me thinking.  It is just so darn easy to let life take control of you, when it is well within your power to take control of your life, your circumstances, and your attitude.  So, here I go.  Not a complete break from the digital world, but a concerted effort to curb my enthusiasm for it!