Sunday, April 29, 2018

Just pulling in to the station

KNITTING
Last month I posted about knitting sweaters for the grandkids, namely my oldest granddaughter and my youngest grandson. This month I have knit a little pink sweater for my soon to be born granddaughter.

I am getting excited about blogging again.  This month I permanently deleted my facebook account and feel like I'm starting to get back some control of my life. I have Instagram for now and Snapchat but never post there. Blogging helps me feel connected to the inter-webs, without all the drama.

Work keeps me busy, and church, but in my spare time I'm finding moments to knit a few rows on this.

I love this Sunshine Coast sweater. I purchased the yarn from LOVE KNITTING and got a sweet deal on this soft DK weight cotton blend.  This is such an easy pattern, even though I had to learn a new technique.  I am familiar with short rows but had not done a yarn over at the end of the row.  It seems like there must be a better way to do it, but the sweater is coming along just fine after the hiccup/learning curve.  I am just about ready to move on to the sleeve separation. The sweater is knit in the round from the neck down, so the sleeves have to be separated at some point.  The only "details" in the sweater are 1) neck yarn overs to create little holes at the yoke and 2) extra panels in front of and behind the sleeves to add fullness, I guess.  It makes for a loose fitting look and keeps it sort of swingy.  I like that, because my hips need all the room I can get.
Back to the little holes in the front yoke section. I must say that this the one thing I changed from the original pattern.  It says on the row after the yarn overs to knit them together, but in my opinion, it pretty much closed up the holes and took away the five extra stitches that appear in the rest of the pattern for the front section. I'll post close up pictures next time so you can see what I mean.
SPINNING
I love getting a fiber box each month from Paradise Fibers.  Their club shipments help me think a bit differently and try going in some new directions. Its always a highlight to track the thing and finally open the box!  Alas, I will be dropping the club next month as my work hours are about to change.
FAMILY
We are going to Nashville in a few weeks for the birth of our new little Julianna, whose sweater I mentioned before.   It seems like our family is in a growth spurt and that's super fine with me. We will also be attending my niece's wedding that same weekend.  She's marrying a young man from Australia, who's moving to the US.  We are all so happy for both of these big events that add to our family's numbers.