Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Getting into some new things...

Audio books have always been a favorite resource for me, and podcasts as well.  Both have pushed me to new experiences and inspired me to be better and go further.  When life feels a bit stale, or without color, I use these two avenues for fresh perspective.

  The Julia Child biography by Laura Shapiro is very enlightening and has details I'd not heard before.  I loved the book, My Life In France, and it definitely inspired me during the time of my daughter's high school graduation.  That summer, she and I took a trip to Boston, stayed with my cousin and toured the city, including Cambridge, where Julia taped many, many television shows.  I love the cluttered usefulness of her kitchen.  It seems to be designed for using, not for looking at.  For once, that matters more to me.  Cozy, inviting, and functional.



I love crime podcasts and have listened to pretty much everything that's out that's worth listening to. I renewed my audible subscription from ages ago and have jumped in with a cozy mystery, a Lisa Scottoline non-fiction book, some free exercise picks and a free short story about a girl who lived above a NYC library while her dad was the custodian.  I am anxious to get my next credit, so in the meantime I use my Hoopla app from the library (Cyanide Canary and Corrupted by Lisa S.).  I also finished a paperback by Harlan Coben who never disappoints.

I realize that knitting and spinning can be an escape as well as a hobby meant to relax.

I finally finished the lavender sweater and made a few adjustments once it was done.  The sleeves were a bit long and the neck a bit wide, but otherwise it fit pretty well.

I also made these socks using two colors from my stash. Both colors are handspun and the pattern was a basic toe up pattern from Wendy Knits.

I gave up my fiber of the month subscription when I switched to part time at work.  It has really been a good decision, since I only spin on Saturday mornings.  I have plenty of fiber to spin, and its all so beautiful, that I'm savoring it very slowly now.
I spun three small bags of fiber from my January fiber of the month shipment and made this lovely tonal feather and fan blanket for my new granddaughter. I did not make her a blanket when she was born, so I'm a little late, but better late than never!
(I need to get a finished picture of my granddaughter with the blanket.)