Saturday, January 7, 2012

On my way


Yesterday I had a little visitor - a young knitter who came over in hopes of taking her knitting to another level.  What a privilege it was for me to not only show her a few new things, but to watch her expressions as she "discovered" things she never realized.  Like how the ribbing on your sweater cuff is knit1, purl1. Or how the flat side of knitting is the side your knit and the bumpy side of knitting (stockinette stitch) is the side you purl - cause it looks like pearls.  She lit up when she not only began to knit on circular needles easily, but small circs were even easier.  What a treat for a veteran like me - she's like an intern in my school of knitting, a real natural!
coaster my little friend crocheted for me! plus grape jelly~

I also had a fun time today checking out the local art museum which had two very interesting exhibits, one of which ends tomorrow.  That one is an Egyptian collection including a real live(dead) mummy and a sarcophagus with incredibly intricate painting on it.  There were reliefs and artifacts as well.  Just realized today how obsessed the Egyptians and possibly Greeks and surrounding peoples were with the afterlife.

My favorite thing today was the collection of European masterpieces some of which were breathtaking. You may be more familiar with Vermeer's The Girl with the Pearl Earring, from a later period.  This exhibit was much more obsessed with the birth and death of Christ, a personal obsession for me!


Now for some good knitting news.  I have been working with this lovely indigo looking blue which is definitely sport weight.  This sample swatch is exactly 14 wraps per inch, making it a perfect sport weight yarn.

And how about this red??  It is going to make something stunning!


I melted down a bunch of bits and pieces of candles and poured them into several little glass jars I had around the house.  The wicks came from Hobby Lobby.


I also mixed in some pieces of old Yankee Candle tarts that had lost most of their scent.  Put them all together by color family and they turned out pretty cute!