Friday, January 27, 2012

Practical wisdom

Raising kids often requires you to impart some wisdom to your children that is more practical, more "Been there, done that" kind of know-how that no book can ever give.
For instance, you can tell a child not to touch something if its hot or sharp.  You can tell a child to be careful with something fragile.  You can tell a child not to put something in their mouth, for obvious reasons to me and you.  But sometimes when we're older, and wiser, we've learned a few other things, mostly because we had to learn the hard way, that we need to teach to the younger generation.  Things like who you can trust, how far is too far, how not to appear too needy (or trashy if you're a girl!).  These things are so delicate and gray-area-ish that they're somewhat hard to explain.  But we try because we've been there and don't want to do that again!

I have a regular habit of sitting down to watch television at night with my knitting.  Its usually after dinner and only for an hour or so, but its a very relaxing time for me.  However, I've gotten a little snobbish with my television choices.  Again, this is a gray area, because what's not great for me might be awesome for you.  I won't even mention what I like and don't like on television, other than to say that I am a hands down fan of Downton Abbey.  For once, there's a show that depicts the importance of discretion, propriety and moderation.  Unlike most of what's out there, this show portrays how even the subtlest of remarks are weighty.  But you don't have to be cerebral to like this show.  In fact, I think it's appealing to lots of people, and it's very good at "teaching" the hard to explain points of wisdom.  Practical wisdom!

This week I've been learning to use my new Turkish spindle and it seems the best way to learn is from folks who've used one long enough to post a video tutorial online.  What a blessing!!  I learn best by watching others (don't you?) and I have to try it myself, right away.


I got it for half price at my LYS, using my birthday gift certificate!!  Woo hoo!  (I also finally got a WPI tool.)

This spindle is so different from the other two I own.  I have a small spindle for spinning cotton, but its just not fun to me.  I've tried it and chalked it up to experience.
I have a regular Ashford spindle that's kind of heavy and not one you can use with very short fibers.  Great for beginners!
But this Turkish delight is so easy to use, and has a specially engineered function for winding on as you spin to make a center pull ball by disengaging the two arms from the shaft.
Here I am using it this morning.  I just had my hair  done!