Saturday, March 17, 2012

In the midst of the storm

In the midst of the storm, we take comfort in knowing that it will pass.  Whenever we see the rainbow afterward, we are reminded of this fact.  There was a storm.  It passed. 
did not see the rainbow till after I took the picture
I am so thankful for the rains we've had.  They are necessary and since I planted a bunch of flower seeds in the yard this week before we got the big storm, I am especially grateful that the Lord did in less than a half hour, what would've taken me a couple of hours or more to do. Plus it was free. I'm talking about watering the flower seeds and soaking all the flower beds and vegetable seedlings. 
Can you see the frown it's making?
One thing I wasn't so thankful for, was the judicious pruning my next door neighbor did to my just-budding wisteria bush. I realize their house is on the market, and it was hanging over their side of the fence, but really. Really?? Right when its about to bloom?  Right when its about to look amazing and spectacular? 
Wisteria after un-wanted pruning

So I rounded up a lattice, some nails and re-routed the whole thing.  I'm happy with how it turned out, and frankly, like it or not, it probably needed the pruning it got.  So, enough of my whining.  Enough of that pouty attitude I've been carrying around.  Later I realized the neighbor had also dug up her beautiful roses as well. The ones that hang over my side of the fence.  I can't seem to grow roses and she's from Texas and keeps them looking great.  I don't know why she dug up the roses, but it probably gave her a lump in her throat to do it. 

And speaking of roses, (what a segue-way!), here is the progress on the rose colored Swallowtail shawl.

I've upped my needle from a 24 inch Addi turbo to a 32 inch Knit Mates combo made from two 16 inch cords.  I don't like these as much, but its all I got!! I needed the extra length to accommodate the extra stitches.  I think I'm up to 124 stitches at this point and it will only get bigger.  When I block it and stretch it out, it will be pret-ty darn big.  I cannot wait!

Pattern is easy and so far, so good.  No complaints and I've done 6 repeats of the 6 row chart after the initial cast on, top to bottom.

I've never done the crochet cast on, so I learned another new trick. So proud of myself!   And doesn't the model look calm and peaceful in this photo?  Don't you think I'll look calm and peaceful when I finish mine?  I will probably take a trip to the Middle East when I'm done and talk to those guys over there who are always fighting.  If they wore shawls like this one when they were throwing those rockets, they'd probably think twice. I know I would!