Thursday, May 31, 2012

California Dreamin'

Next week I'm taking a trip to the west coast with my family.  We are going to a relative's wedding, but it's a great opportunity to add a few days of sightseeing and fun. (We plan to go to Disneyland as a family.)
 I can't tell you how much I need this.  Let me say that when life hands you a few bits of citrus and you make some cool drinks, it can be fun. For a little while.  Then more citrus, a little more refreshment.  After a while, doctors tell you that your teeth can begin to erode, if you're not careful.  You know what I'm saying?  I'm so grateful for grace, mercy, patience and opportunities to grow as a person.  Looking on the bright side, counting my blessings and all that.  But sometimes you just really, really need to get away for an extended period of time.  The time is now!  Or next week, as the case may be. Hallelujah!

I had coffee yesterday with a new friend who shared with me some of her experiences of loss and her ministry as a result.  Its amazing how comforting it is to meet people who have truly compassionate hearts!  We miss out on the opportunity to learn compassion when everything is always going our way.  And its also needful to find good resources to refill your emotional tank when you're running low. My friend has that kind of ministry. 

I'm reading a great book that I'd reserved at the library a few weeks ago.  It just came in yesterday and I've got it for 3 whole weeks.  Monday Mornings by Sanjay Gupta.  Its a book about the meetings that surgeons have every so often to talk about their mistakes in a safe, private environment.  What a great concept!

I'm setting aside the book I just bought with my Mother's Day money from my father in law, Destiny of the Republic.  Very good, by the way!  I'm still working on Mornings on Horseback (Audible) and its about the same period of time as the former book mentioned.  I think Downton Abbey has got me brushing up on my turn of the century history!

There's virtually no knitting or spinning progress to report.  I've spun some white silk which looks "splendid" to borrow an adjective from Teddy Roosevelt.  I've run out of yarn for the white baby blanket and need to get some more. I can't really get to my carding and combing equipment right now.  We've been blessed to have my daughter and her husband with us for the week, while they're waiting for their new place to be ready.  Moving day is Saturday and some of their stuff is in the garage, so I'll get back to some combing when I get back from California. My husband's friend is going to make me a special table, just for my drum carder and wool combs too.  I can't wait to put it all to good use! 
We also have another houseguest for a few weeks and of course my father in law now lives with us, so we have six people in the house. Our driveway looks a bit like a used car lot at night when everybody gets home! But it's sweet to have so many loving people in our lives. We are blessed.

I don't plan to take any knitting with me on the trip.  I have done lots of alterations from my new sewing closet, and I really look forward to actually starting a new sewing project soon.  But for now, my dreams are of the west coast and sunny beaches!  Woo hoo! Time to dust off the suitcase and grab some flip flops!