Monday, September 10, 2012

Yesterday Once More



We had a great visit with my parents last week - we drove down on Wednesday, and came back home on Friday so Thursday was our only day to spend together. 

Sunrise on Thursday morning was really beautiful.I couldn't stop taking pictures.
Sunrise.  I used to climb that tree on the left.


View from the front yard looking south (that point of land is for sale kiddos!)

We always said "front yard" when referring to the water-front side of the house.

My folks are precious to me, and it feels like I hardly ever get to see them.  We spent the entire day together on Thursday, morning till evening, and wrung out the day like a wet dish rag.  Breakfast at IHOP, sightseeing downtown (Mobile), drove across the bay to my favorite antiques place, then supper at Cracker Barrel. It was over too soon! 


Mom and  Dad (married for 52 years!)
Their lovely new house post-Katrina.


View from the front yard  looking north


Looking north from the porch swing

New friend - little Tony from NYC

While driving around downtown, we stopped by the building where my dad used to work when I was really young.  It was a great place to park when we went to Mardi Gras back in the day.  The building is in disrepair now and is owned by someone else, but they allowed us to come inside and grab a few photos.  

This is the stool my dad used for many years in the office. 

Square metal stool; mid century modern ~
See the stool just inside the opened garage?


Original light fixture


These building were once used as carriage houses!



Below is the original bakery building where the public could view bread being made and packaged on conveyer belts.  The buildings above are where the delivery trucks were serviced and painted. The red lamp above is where the old gas pumps were.

I also got to see the orphanage where my grandfather lived for a while.  It is deserving of another post, so I'll save those pics for later.

I did get a lot of knitting done on the drive to and from my parents' house.  I'm really glad I took it along.  I completed the first chart and have started the second!
Rows 1-24 of the Flower Basket Shawl
I pretty much completed the first cable pillow and need to bind off and block it. 



While we were at the antiques place, I found some really cool milking stools from Europe.  I think they were French or German.  Most all of the items in the place are from Europe, and usually from Scotland.  I had pretty much decided on a stool to use with my spinning wheel in the garage, when I changed my mind.  The price was too high and not really negotiable. My mom seemed pretty sure that there was a stool at my grandmother's house, on the back porch that I was welcome to use.  

Granny's round wooden stool

As soon as I sat on it, I knew the height was perfect to use with my spinning wheel.  And to double my joy, I knew exactly where it came from, so now there's sentimental value attached to it.  What a find!

And to round out this post, I have to share the peach wool I'm spinning.  I love this color and can see another shawl in my future......