Saturday, September 22, 2012

Warped Mind

Since its September, I thought I'd mention how I'm doing with my goals and resolutions for the year.  I have a list of about 20 or so and I've checked off about half of them. Woo Hoo! I think that's pretty good! 
About 5 of them are in process and that leaves me three months to get on with those last 5. One of my goals was to spin all of my existing roving and fleece.
two and a half pounds of wool!
I started spinning this huge bag of wool this week; kind of ominous looking.  I'm purposely leaving in the little bits and noils as I spin, just for arts' sake.  I want it to have a little character. This is as gray as you're ever gonna get, but its really light gray -  reminds me of dryer lint. I  cannot imagine what I'm going to make out of it.  Maybe a rug or something  sturdy. 


This morning I started a weaving project; sort of a beginner's plaid.  Its a first for me and I've had all sorts of trouble.
Warped threads 

I warped with 100% homespun - wool and mohair two-play. (Cue tense music.)

Once I'd gotten through threading the heddle, I literally sighed and thought I was in the homestretch. (Music gets more intense, kind  of like the theme from Jaws.)
stringing up the tension rod

threading the heddle
I soon realized  I had warped the whole thing in the wrong direction (top to bottom instead of bottom to top).  Then , all the threads started sticking together.   I got out all manner of rulers, sticks and hand grenades gadgets to try to make everything work.
THEN I found that one of the warp threads was about to break.  (There's probably a villain peeking around the corner smoothing his evil mustache.)
Innocent looking pink silk and white wool for the weft


I'm thinking its time for a hot shower.  Good thing I haven't watched Psycho lately!