I am so thankful for that! It makes planning knitting projects all the more fun. And we have a new knitting store in town ~ you heard me right ~ a new knitting store. Danger! Turn around and run for your life! Get out while you still can.
Sorry folks, its too late. I've been twice in the last week and I'm officially on a yarn diet as of right now.
There are little voices inside my head (in the room?) saying to me, Really?? You needed more yarn?
Its not like I don't have lots of yarn in the stash (secret location), but I bought yarn at The Joy of Knitting to be supportive, friendly, and to help them know I cared. Or maybe just because I couldn't resist these two really lovely skeins. That probably more like it. So here they are. I offer them up to you, and confess my sins. I was off the wagon a bit this week!
| Beautiful green and blue Schaeffer yarn |
| fingerless glove |
| blocked cable pillow |
I finished spinning the beautiful white linen; its plied and 'hanked', ready for a small weaving project like a runner or placemat. Maybe a cute purse or bag...
| white linen |
And I promised to share the other pictures from my trip. These are photos of the orphanage my mom's dad lived in for a while when he was a boy.
![]() |
| back of building 2012 |
![]() |
| Front of building 2012 |
![]() |
| Back of building 1935 |
![]() |
| Front of building 1935 |
![]() |
| Inside front stairs |
![]() |
| Inside back of stairs |
Times were hard in those days, I suppose. I know there was family around, and my grandpa did live with various family members during harvest, etc. Children were considered extra help or labor, in a way, and both sides of my family experienced the joy of helping their families when needed.
My grandfather passed away many years ago when I was just a child. My mom says he was a very hard worker and I remember him being a strong man with a very deep voice.
I think he called me Peanut, and he always patted me really hard on the top of the head and smiled. He and my grandmother owned a sawmill like the one on The Waltons. My grandma always said they were "tripping logs" or making boards. Grandpa served in WWII in Germany.
God bless you Joseph Miller. And may you rest in peace.





