Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Getting Crafty

 Knitting
After starting a scarf for my friend, I'd only gotten about 6-8 inches into the project when I weighed the scarf-so-far and then weighed the remaining yarn.  They were almost exactly the same!  I knew that this would be a lost cause.  (This is the way knitters determine if you have enough yarn left to make a project.) No one really wants a scarf that's 14 inches long.  Time to rip it out and start over.


Yesterday morning I was up really early, and ended up in the garage going through my stash trying to find suitable yarn for an alternate project for my friend.  I had tried a crochet hat that started out well the night before, but my DH looked at me funny when I showed him what I'd done.  The hat was very 70's and kind of like the one that guy wore on Welcome Back Kotter, with a brim in the front.  Nah.

Then I started a couple of scarves,  but did not like either of them so I'm officially in a simmering mode.  Just giving it time. But I will make something for Jeannie.  She is a generous friend and quickly gave me not one, but two wreaths for my front door. One for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas.
Thanksgiving wreath
Christmas wreath


 She's very talented and made these shoes for a friend.  What an artist!
Shoes by Jeannie

Spinning
So I spun some more of the Dryer-Lint roving and made a cool, artsy hank of wool.  I'm trying to find a large amount of yarn to make a throw for my DD and SIL.  They asked for one this weekend; one that was soft and big enough to use over the whole body without lace holes.  Got it.  Probably will mean acrylic from Hobby Lobby in chunky or bulky weight.  I love a challenge!  And I see Christmas Present on the gift tag!

Family
We had a marvelous day with our new granddaughter Saturday.  It was her first trip to Grandma and Grandpa's house.  I remember that last time they visited was before the baby was born, and I realized when they left that day, that the next time there would be a baby in the back seat.  She's a doll in her car seat.  And she's a doll when she sleeps and when she's awake.  And I was elated to see her laugh when we sang Toot Sweets from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Apparently the songs from the movie are sung all the time around her house.  So guess what album we just bought.  Well, we had to settle for the Broadway album, but Charlotte will never know. 
Thinking how much fun it is to go to Grandma's