Monday, October 8, 2012

Taking the Plunge

Tonight the weather is truly taking the plunge - 36 degrees!  After a really hot summer and some early cool temperatures, the cold weather is finally here.  I'm not one to wear shorts in the snow, although I used to live in the mountains where the locals thought nothing of shorts in winter. Not me!  I am always up for a cozy sweater, homemade socks and if possible, clogs!  Yes, I love wearing my clogs with handknitted socks.  My daughter assures me that it should not be done, sometimes I can't help myself.   I'd love a real true pair of dutch clogs like these:
YES?
When I moved to TN from the mountains of NC, I had thoroughly embraced being a mountain gal.  I used to wear overalls with a t-shirt and Birkenstocks without a second thought.
Then I moved to Nashville, TN, where folks are a bit more vain (please forgive me, but its true) and I realized I was in a whole other rodeo.  Not the kind where you wear cowboy hats and boots.  People here all color their hair, they wear very trendy clothes and shave their beards and mustaches in all kinds of funny ways.  I've had a lot of learning to do, and tried to adapt quickly, but occasionally, you'll catch me wearing something that would land me a permanent spot on What Not To Wear.
Anyway, I know my friends will still love me if they catch me wearing clogs and wool socks!

Knitting:
After visiting my friend Jeannie in IN, I knew I had to start a project for her.
Check out the WREATH she made! 

 I bought some super squishy yarn at a LYS and decided it would make a perfect feather-and-fan scarf for her.  Jeannie knows how to wear scarves so I knew this would be the perfect new project . 


And I have to share some of the goodies I got at my friend, Suzanne's house a couple of weeks ago. 
There were lots of spinning accessories including these gorgeous wool combs. and hand cards. 
Combs and Hand Cards

There were spindles of all sizes, knitting needles and a great crochet hook. 
Drop Spindles and Books


Bags of woo and needles
There was beautiful wool in great bags on the front porch of her log cabin. 
Yes, I said log cabin.  Not your average run of the mill ranch style house in the suburbs.  It sooo reminded me of the mountain cabins where we used to live.  Rustic with woods all around. 

And I got some excellent books. Books like A Gathering of Lace, and a Barbara Walker Treasury!  And cookbooks and gardening books.  I'm telling you, I scored!!


I made a deal with myself though;  that I would NOT  try to spin any of the wool I got until next year.  I'm trying to "Spin Down in 2012".  That is to say that I'm trying to spin all the wool I have in my stash, before starting any new spinning projects.  I'm kind of behind with the new grandbaby and a spontaneous trip to IN last weekend.  Not much spinning this week, but I did finish knitting and sewing up the cable pillows for my daughter!

As for reading, I'm on an audio book kick.  I started a new one today, and I've almost finished it already. 

Its by Henry Cloud.  He has a great book on Boundaries in case you need some help in that area.  I highly recommend it!
I finished the book by Bernie Madoff's daughter in law. It was quite sad and left me a little depressed.  So many people hurt by this one man. A compelling story but not a happy ending, as you probably already guessed.
 I've enjoyed this new book and its been very encouraging, especially as I'm entering a new phase of life.