Saturday, December 12, 2009

Holiday Season

Yesterday I had the honor and privilege of meeting with my spinning group buddies to celebrate Christmas. We have a little potluck party every year and this year was a special time with better than average fare.

Mixed green salad with lettuce from Brenda M's garden (and homemade dressing), Shepherd's pie made by our very own New Zealander Sally, Potato Soup from our German hostess Susie, Avocado & Grapefruit salad from our resident cookbook author Marty, Hummus and chips, casserole, chocolates and cream puffs,....I'm telling you it was nice.

Pleasant conversation ranging from European vacations to disastrous power outages. And then the reason for the season, presents! (just kidding!)

Here's what I brought home. Amazing hand knit neck scarf made from handspun alpaca and wool. Merry Christmas to me!

Show and tell brought up lovely handmade things as usual.
Beautiful! The shawl below was hand combed and hand spun and hand crocheted from 2 fleeces.

We are so blessed to have such abundance at our fingertips. I got to share with the ladies that a man from our church told my husband he would GIVE me several llama fleeces, as he burns them every year and doesn't know what to do with them. All the girls' jaws dropped when I said this (and I think I saw some green flashes of envy/can I have one?).

~ ~ ~
My watermelon hat is a breeze, yet it reminds me more and more of my need to wear glasses when knitting in less than perfect light. I will be 45 this January and eventually I'll have to start coloring my hair and taking pills and wearing glasses for more than needlework. I am ok with all that. Life has been so good to me and there's so much more to come; I can hardly wait to see what's next.

I've really enjoyed my Kindle this week. Well into my mystery novel and already looking for the next book to read. The night I got it (FYI, kindle is like an iPod for books) I downloaded The Lifted Veil by George Eliot and a few samples of books to see what I'd like to buy. I read the book in a couple of days and loved it! Public domain books are generally free and there are lots of them to get. There's such a large selection to choose from, it really takes a while to make a decision. (Not to mention that if they are free that helps me decide more quickly.)

This Tuesday is our office Christmas party and we are going to a new restaurant in downtown Franklin, TN. A brewery that is owned by a local celebrity. Last year we weren't able to get bonuses but did receive an extra paid vacation day. Funny thing is, I still haven't used all my days from last year and I'm now into my 'new year' at work. I've been there three years now (didn't get an evaluation but I'm sure of my facts. I know my work anniversary!) Starting my fourth year has been better than I thought it would be. Things are changing daily around there, but more and more I feel a sense of confidence with my job. Thank you Lord for a good job!