Last Thursday night my son and his wife joined us for dinner, and afterward my son helped his dad with a few work projects, while I joined my daughter in law for a little chit chat downstairs. On Friday my daughter and her husband joined us for dinner and more chit chat. They had arrived in town to pick up the key to their new place, moving back to our area after finishing school. All six of us get along really well. Both of the boys are graduates this weekend and have an awful lot to look forward to. Commencement speeches remind us of the big world that lays ahead, and they path they'll take to get there.
As a kid I remember my folks saying that if we didn't like the way things were, "There's the door!" Teenagers don't like to hear that but it's probably good advice. It prods the kids to be thinking about leaving someday and what the future will hold for them. Often a boss will remind an employee how lucky he is to work for them, and if he doesn't like it, “There's the door!”. We are all looking for new opportunities but many times we have to walk through a door to get there.
As both my son and son in law have graduated they are thinking about "the door" to their futures; leaving school and academia, tests and papers, projects and the like - what kind of jobs they will be entering into, and how they will approach them, they will be looking at how their skills and acquired knowledge will fit into someone else' vision and/or needs. There are other options as well, but whether one is self employed or employed by someone else, "the door" is there to be opened, as they say.
I'm so happy for my kids and their bright futures. (I will have to admit selfishly though that I tried never to use the door analogy with my kids 'cause I never wanted them to leave!)