Sunday, May 15, 2011

Skill Set

backyard at dusk
 I went to the doctor(s) recently and noticed something that really stood out to me; the skill and knowledge of those that were taking care of me, some more than others.  I noticed how some doctors and nurses were simply keeping the business going, getting me in and out the door with my insurance card.  But at least one doctor seemed incredibly interested in my well being.  She asked me all sorts of questions that at times seemed irrelevant to why I was in her office.  She was all about looking things up on the computer to find out the answer to what we were discussing.  And she seemed totally interested in bringing to me the best possible care that I would need.  I was really impressed with the level of interest she took in me as a whole person and wanted to integrate her skill with my needs.  What a perfect fit! What a refreshing change that someone would step out of the box for a moment and do a little more than expected.  Skill is a valuable commodity these days!!

As we celebrated the graduations last weekend of two young men in our family I noted that it takes a long time to earn a degree, and only about 5 seconds (I timed it!) to receive the diploma.
I am skilled at making homemade cappuccino!
 What a laugh. And yet, it is indicative of what our society values when it comes to skill and expertise.  We want McDonald's speed and price and Mercedes quality.

 As I've become a true lover of knitting, I see the great skill, expertise and man hours it takes to knit a garment.  I saw a large crocheted afghan this week that must have taken close to a year to make.

Simply beautiful! I know what went into each and every stitch made by some very skilled hands.  Amazing!  It probably looks so simple to the uneducated, but I know how hard it was to make that blanket. ( And can imagine the many loving thoughts that went through the mind of the person making it. 

I am such a slacker when it comes to my own projects - I am only just now blocking the Cocoa Bear Hoodie; maybe I can do the button bands on Tuesday or Wednesday night.  (Very long day ahead tomorrow!) I also finished the red wrap, but I can't remember if I ever named it.  Surely I could skim my old posts and find out, but as I said, I'm a little slacker, short and stout!