Friday, January 15, 2010

Rustica Scarf

This great rustic scarf is a breeze to knit, but I’ve hardly spent any time on it. I hope to make time for it this weekend. I’ve been reading a great book lately, and have picked it up every time I had the chance. I only got it last week, but I’m tearing through it like a fireman at the scene of a house fire. I love to find books that do that to me. They are so hard to find!!

One of my New Year’s Resolutions was to work at getting in 10,000 steps a day, according to my pedometer. I’m wearing it now. One thing is abundantly clear. The treadmill has everything to do with getting in 10k steps. Here are my results for the past several days. ( Night before last we ate out and I was so full, I could only go to bed and ask the Lord’s forgiveness for gluttony. (no treadmill for 2 days)

11, 207
9,004
3,664
8,768
10, 768
10,197
5,306
5,484
7,654
I've kept a sticky note on the bathroom mirror and I post it when I take the pedometer off at night. Last night's number is really interesting to me and I'll tell you why. When I got home from work I had only walked about 800 steps all day. After my treadmill time, I had pushed way past 7k. Can you believe that?

I had to renew my drivers license today so I took my knitting with me. I did not have to wait long, but the DMV feels a lot like jail. No one's talking and everyone's staring at the floor. What better time to get in a few more rows on my scarf.

I finally started ripping out the sapphire sweater. Two strands are harder to unwind! Some things don't ever end up like you intended. And sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get something right.
Our preschoolers had their first week in the new classrooms last week. Things weren't all perfect, but the kids never noticed. A few cried and didn't want to go in, just because it was strange and new, but mostly all the kids took to their classrooms like ducks to water. (Grownups are a little tougher to please!)

As I listen to the reports coming in about Haiti, I heard that people are using car batteries to power things. When I was a young girl, we suffered the loss of our home to a hurricane. Most of the city was without power, other than gas generators. We hadn't seen television for many days, maybe even weeks, so my dad pulled the car up next to the house and ran an electric cord from the car cigarette lighter through a first floor bedroom window. We were able to watch this small black and white portable tv for the evening and it was the biggest treat you can imagine.

I am doing really well with my resolution to look at the clouds. I hope to make a whole post soon with nothing but cloud pictures. Today is really sunny and bright so the clouds are fewer, but I'm happy to have the sun; the snow has finally melted!