Saturday, January 2, 2010

Bad, Bad Leroy Brown

We made a quick little trip to Memphis and if you've ever been there, it's not Mayberry. I worry a bit about my daughter and her husband living there, but they seem to know what's what and where 'not to be'. That said, I started a new pair of cabled socks and I'm calling them my Leroy Brown socks.

I started them on New Year's Eve as we were watching Die Hard (never saw it unedited; language was worse than I remember). We had so much fun though, cause John McClain is also kinda bad. But he saves the day and his wife as well.

We had fun getting donuts prior to the movie - at Gibson's which is a local favorite.
I felt pretty safe cause there were literally several cops in the place and their cars were out front. Most stores were closed by 6pm Thursday night.
My daughter had made us Shrimp Etoufee and cheese grits (delicious!).
We slept in the next morning and had brunch at Perkins, shopped forever and had pizza at Memphis Pizza.
All great choices and enough eating out for a while. Before we ended the day, we dropped by a local bookstore similar to Barnes & Noble. It used to be a theater and they did a cool job of keeping the theater screen and projectors in the rear.
We were told that this was the theater Elvis used to frequent, staying up in the projection booth to be incognito. When word would get out that he was upstairs, he would leave quickly and the theater manager would have to yell that Elvis had left the building, so that folks would quiet down and let the movie finish. (*fun bit of trivia)
My daughter and I also share a bit of intuition or what some might call a sixth sense. She had mentioned a particular ladies' room that felt really weird and she refused to go in there. When I stopped in to take a look around, I felt the very same 'bad vibe'. Actually it was quite strong and it prompted me to pray 'in the Spirit' until I could leave. Sometimes these things are helpful, but sometimes this awareness is unsettling and bothersome. God keeps things from us for a reason.

So, I'm back at home and putting away all the Christmas stuff, getting ready to start another new year. I kept quite a few resolutions from last year and here are two of this year's hopefuls.
1. Keep an eye on the clouds - they are lovely.
2. Walk 10,000 steps a day (using a pedometer)
I have a few more, but they're more personal and I'll fill you in later, if it seems appropriate.
I have only one knitting/spinning resolution, but it's not really firm. To spin about 30 minutes a day if possible.

Lets see how we do! Happy New Year and God Bless you!!