Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mashed potatoes, meatloaf, red wine and knitting

I was listening to a recent spinning podcast, and heard someone remark that knitting had really made a comeback after Sept. 11, 2001.  A woman from New York was attending a fiber festival later that year and told a vendor in CA that back in NYC people were all about mashed potatoes, meatloaf, red wine and knitting.  I can imagine why!  I loved that I was listening to this podcast as I was taking part in one of my own comfort rituals: dyeing wool.  The weather today is outstanding, for the record.  Breezy, sunny, and just a little cool. Perfect for a me/fiber day.

Picking and carding on You Tube will get you to a new kind of picker (for all you spinners!) that is not as lethal as the one you're picturing.  Instead of a guillotine kind of motion, this one is a small wooden box that sits on the table and allows you to process your wool in it's early stages for under two hundred dollars. Since I don't have one, I took my hot little hands to the garage and began picking and carding some wool and mohair for a sample.

That always inspires me to dye, if the weather permits, so I got out a couple of bags of fleece, some pots and packs of dye and went for it.
Here are two different fleeces with very different staples - the one on the right has a lot more crimp.




The colors I chose are bronze (looks green to me) and terra cotta (blood red?).  Either way, they are beautiful and keep my creative juices flowing.





As I was doing my thing this morning, it occurred to me how different the choices are that my husband and I make. He is always wheelin' and dealin' to acquire what he wants, gadget wise.  Sold an amp on Ebay, bought and iPad.  I go to the garage and grab some wool, dye it on the stove and spin it on my wheel.  See what I mean?  But to each his own, as they say.  So long as a person's hobbies and interests keep them happy, that's all that counts.
When I heard the comment on the podcast today about meatloaf and mashed potatoes, I understood, but thought it could also be a meal of black eye peas, corn bread and iced tea to make one feel comforted. To each his own, as they say!!

And just in case you're interested in some good podcast recommendations, here are a few.
Belle of the Ball
Sassy Sheep
Yarnspinners Tales