Saturday, November 27, 2010

To Boldly Go Where I Haven't Gone Before

My daughter, who's in town for Thanksgiving, went with me to my favorite yarn store yesterday.  She asked me if there was something that I don't ordinarily pursue that might be interesting to try.  I couldn't think of anything, but then she asked me if I would knit her an infinity scarf out of a particular yarn.  It was a bulky cotton yarn.  Very pretty natural looking bleached white cotton.  Now there's something I've never spun before, or knitted with.  Bingo!!

The yarn was 40 % off and she bought it for me.  Woo Hoo!  I asked the lady who worked there to help me find a pattern to show my daughter a moebius scarf so that I'd be sure we were on the same page.

We later went to a large upscale mall that had lots of 'infinity' scarves for me to look at and feel and check out so that I would be on the same page as my daughter. So today I cast on to get a feel for gauge and stitch count - I think I'm good.  This little baby should only take a few days and will be fun to do.

Then last night, when my son and his wife got back from visiting her dad, we all went to Target to get some eggnog to drink while we decorated the tree last night.  My husband and I both happened on the same large book that we wanted.  With discount and splitting the said volume's price in half, we figured it might just be worth it - a gift to each other; an early Christmas.  Let's hope it's a good read!

And backing up a day or so, I can't forget to show you my next Christmas present cast-on.

Fingerless gloves knit in very washable acrylic: navy blue with size 5 DPNs.

The pattern comes from The Knitter's Book of Wool, which my son got me for Christmas last year.  I can't tell you how easy it is.

After a few tricky first rows, the glove basically is just 2x2 rib with a claw cable insert.  A short 10 stitch chart with only one row of cable in the four row repeat.  Woo Hoo again!!!