Saturday, February 19, 2011

Last Days of Winter

As February comes to its close next week and the cold days begin to be outnumbered by the not-so-cold days, I am thinking fast about what can possibly be knit before it's over with.

Two fire logs are left in the box, in case it snows again. I still have all my sweaters out but... I'm occasionally pulling out some tank tops and capri pants on warm days!  The weather has been so iffy that even on days when I'm sure I'll be in the yard/garden, I end up staying inside or running errands in the car.

One good in-between-the-seasons project is my new wrap for summer.  It's made of a bulky cotton cabled yarn that I knit something with long ago, then frogged the whole project because the drape was not good.

The yarn is quite-red and appeals to my need for color and my wariness of starting anything big and woolly.

I'm using size 9 circulars but it's knit straight (back and forth) in a pattern called Little Waves from the book 400 Knitting Stitches.  Its very similar to the shell or shale pattern or  feather and fan.  There is not a row of reverse stockinette so the pattern stays smooth except for the yarn overs and K2tog's.

I've got a plain knitting border for stability but it will need blocking before I can wear it, so since it may take a little while, I'm not gonna worry about that today.
In fact, since that's my attitude, I think I'll call it the Scarlet (O'Hara) Wrap.  I'll think about that tomorrow, said a wise woman in 1939!

I've had a good weekend so far and am looking forward to family visits tomorrow night and again next weekend.  Work weeks are good but just like the end of winter, the end of a lot of things can be good.  It leaves room for new beginnings! Right?

And before I go, I have to give a shout out to my friends, family and anonymous readers.   Although I don't  know who reads my blog, I can see that every day somebody, or a few somebodies read my blog.  Thank you so much!  I need to blog to keep motivated to knit, and knowing there are readers out there helps keep me motivated to blog.  Whoever you are,  God bless you!!