Friday, September 16, 2011

The Long and Short of It

It's hard to believe that I'm already this far along with the crimson stocking.  It's time to put in the afterthought heel thread.  Or......I can make it a long, skinny stocking and keep on enjoying the mindless knitting I've had the last week.

The pattern is completely committed to memory and I hardly have to look at the page to see what's next.  I do keep making the same mistake over and over again, and in exactly the same place.  What's that all about?  You'd think I'd learn, but I guess I haven't paid attention like I should.

It keeps happening at the end of the row where I start to expand the medallion.  I've decided to leave in one of the errors 'cause I already lost a couple of hours frogging the thing, twice!   It gives it character, right?  Okay, maybe not.

Anyway,  I have not even thought about the next stocking, if that's any indication of how much I'm enjoying this little thing.  Every night after dinner I sit down next to it on the couch with a cup of coffee and knit for at least an hour.  Woo hoo!  It's the little things!

I dropped my honey at the airport this morning, before the sun came up.  He's headed to Texas for a few days, but on my way home I saw the most amazing rainbow as the sun was coming up.  It seemed like it was there just for me!  Well, it was, as a matter of fact.  I know it was because my husband and I had just prayed before I dropped him at the curb.  It's good to know Somebody's listening!

And I have spent the majority of the week sorting through stuff in the garage.  I literally am just now putting last years' Christmas decorations back in the attic.  I threw away homeschool papers that would cover my behind in case the law came-a-looking.  Homeschooling is a legal nightmare, I don't care what people say.  So now that both kids are out of school and married and employed, I figure it's safe to toss the evidence.  I also bubble wrapped a set of dishes my grandmother gave me years ago - dishes that I am going to store for a while, since I've painted the dining room lighter and put light colored dishes in the china cabinet, instead of the ruby red ones.

This morning I finally planted some Angelique tulip bulbs for next spring.  They'll have to compete with the passion vines that just keep coming back up. Can't seem to get rid of them.  Either way, the flower bed on the hill will be lovely next year!