Friday, September 9, 2011
Skein of the Crime
While visiting family last weekend, we stopped at a local fabric store so that I could buy fabric to line the two completed Christmas stockings. Half a yard of green, half a yard of blue. Easy.
The green one is done.
I've finished the blue stocking and will probably make the lining for it this week. Now for stocking number three!
Yesterday I started this pattern for a solid crimson cabled stocking.
No fancy charts, and an easy to memorize, if not complicated at first to figure out, pattern. The pattern is written for flat knitting, so I had to make some minor adjustments in order to knit in the round.
Apparently knitting reverse stockinette stitch is not the same as just purling, but that's what I'm doing. So there! Not gonna fiddle with trying to figure out "the perfect way" to do this.
I did have to rip out the first several rounds and start over - bummer. There was no way around it.
But now it looks good and I think I've got it right.
I am not a perfectionist about most things. In fact pretty good is usually fine with me, and I'm not hard to please in almost every circumstance.
But, if you're talking about coffee, I'll have to say Whoa Nelly about that. I am a purist when it comes to coffee, as you should be, too. Life is short, I'll admit, but not that short. Not so short that you should drink so-so coffee when its so cheap and so easy to get really good coffee. (Cheap being a relative term.)
Our addiction to coffee in America has led us down some very expensive paths, the most expensive lately being the Keurig and the little cups that are starting to rival Starbucks drive-through prices. So our friends bought us a simple drip coffee carafe and filter holder, for when we make coffee for several people at a time. No electricity needed except for boiling the water; and you might have a gas stove for that. Anyway.......my point is that you don't have to go high tech to have good coffee.
And, to wax philosophical on you, I have to say people are the same way. Most of the time you don't need a degree to deal with people whose problems seem complicated. Most of the time good old fashioned common sense is all it takes. The kind of advice you'd get from your grandma.