Monday, September 5, 2011

The times, they are a changing

I can't believe I've finally started on the heel of the stocking.  I now have the feeling you get several weeks after having a baby.  During childbirth you swear you'll never, ever do this again.  But later on, you forget the pain and concede that having babies is a good thing after all.
This stocking isn't as cute as my babies were, but at least I'm not looking at it with a sideways glance.  I am ready to take on another stocking after this, but the next one will have lots of easy repeats and no crazy stitch patterns.  It does look good, though.  And I'll admit, it even seems to be worth the effort.  Don't you?


We took a trip this weekend to visit my family after we dropped my father in law at my brother in law's house nearby.  While they made their way to a follow up doctor's visit in NC, we headed to the Gulf Coast.  I had no idea until the night before we left that there was a hurricane (tropical storm) headed that way.  Lucky me!

We got to spend almost the entire weekend watching water pour off the roof like we were in a giant car wash.  And the blowers were on! Gee whiz!

But it was good to get in some knitting and reading time.  I enjoyed seeing family and came home like I always do - thanking God for my home sweet home.
I had my smart phone with me, but for some reason the internet access did not work.  I had my laptop, and it did the trick, but there was at least one bit of technology that I did not have at my fingertips for the stay. And that was good.  Cause it made me close the toe of the stocking and get to the heel!


Keeping up with the times is a good way to keep away the cobwebs.  When I met my husband, who is a musician, I learned what BGV's mean; background vocals.  (Not to be confused with BVDs which are underwear!)
Tomorrow I will add another acronym to my repertoire; VCGs -  virtual community groups.   I am taking part in a video chat with some other ladies whose husbands are in ministry.  We all have one thing in common, and that is the need to remain discreet with lots of sensitive information that could cause unnecessary pain or confusion in the lives of other people.  The downside is that there's no one to confide in.  Minister's wives are some of the loneliest people around, even though they are surrounded by people almost all of the time they are outside of the house.
It is important to maintain confidentiality when you are exposed to the private details of other people's lives. It's also important to act like you're mentally competent at least 75% of the time.

You see, church leadership comes with a hefty price tag. You want to be together and uplifting to all of the people you come in contact with.  You try to agree with and support all of those above you in the food chain, and meet their expectations for excellence.  Those who have a problem with religion or the church are just waiting to make an example out of you. Your family sometimes gets pushed way down the totem pole of priority, if you want to appear "a good leader".  Your children often have to take the leftovers of your time when it comes to holidays, special occasions and family get togethers.  I know this because my husband and I have been in ministry since we married in 1985.  It doesn't matter where you live or how old you are, or how what kind of church you serve in, the rules are the same.   My son took his first steps in the church nursery. We have celebrated countless Christmas Eves at 10pm so that the kids could open a gift before going to bed ( but they had to wait till we got home from the church's Christmas Eve candlelight service).  The rewards are great but the sacrifice is equally great.  Tomorrow, I hope to meet with some great ladies who've been in the same boat for a while as well.  We hope to encourage each other, but I've heard the groups are more fun than anything else.  I can't wait!