Tuesday, November 22, 2011
Fear of Decorating
I've begun working on the heel stitches for the the first sock and will have to do some Speedy Gonzales knitting tonight after dinner. The waste thread has been pulled out and I've put all the heel stitches on two needles. Once I've completed the heel on this first sock I'll get to start sock number two. Woo hoo!!
And I really, really want to finish it quickly so that I can go back and finish the other skinny sock stocking (below) before Christmas Eve. I'd like to be able to hang the stockings and stuff them with lots of goodies and gift cards!
After the Thanksgiving weekend, I plan to decorate the house for Christmas, so its crucial that I get this stocking finished. Motivation to get my hiney in gear and knit!
Decorating for Christmas is not my favorite thing to do and I'll tell you why. I really dread getting down all the boxes of decorations from the attic. The pull down stairs in the garage are narrow and precarious, and I am already afraid of heights. Plus, someone I used to work with stepped through the attic floor at his house and broke his back a few years ago moving boxes of Christmas decorations, so I'm doubly nervous about the task. But, guess what! Yesterday I went to the garage to start cleaning around the area where I'd "land" the boxes from the attic when I realized I'd never actually put the boxes in the attic from last year!! Oh my goodness, what a surprise! My lazy streak (fear of the attic stairs) has finally paid off. Now I only have to walk into the garage and drag them into the house, scaling only two small steps at the back door. Unbelievable!
And let me tell you of another fortunate thing. Yesterday afternoon I met a friend for coffee on the spur of the moment. We needed to do some catching up and before I knew it, the time had flown by and it was time to get home. On the drive home I was moving along at a good pace (speeding) and had the music pretty loud since I was alone. I was selecting music from a portable device which is pretty close to texting while driving. I made the turn toward my little town when I saw a string of tail lights that went on for miles. Ugh. Five o'clock traffic ahead, as I looked at my watch and it really was 5:30 p.m.
I decided to make the best of it and kept on listening to my music and was glad that I wasn't coming home from a long day at the office. Several miles later, I could see that the traffic was so slow because of a terrible accident. I don't know exactly what happened but the entire northbound lane was closed off (I was southbound) and there were lots of emergency vehicles around a power pole that was bent sideways. The power lines were stretched and twisted and the police officers had on their reflective vests, directing cars to keep moving past the site of the accident. What a close call! I had been completely unaware of what time it was when I left Starbucks, and was oblivious to the danger I could have been a part of, had I left earlier. You just never know how close you've come; how blessed you are and how your life may have been spared many times over, every single day. I do believe someone up there is watching out for me!!