Thursday, November 17, 2011

Noah's Ark

Many nurseries today are decorated with pictures of animals walking two by two into an ark. They seem to be oblivious to the fate that's about to overtake their friends.

A couple of years ago, I took a trip that began with a flight where the pilot announced we were going to try to take off pretty quickly in order to miss some serious storm systems moving into the area.   I had no idea how bad those storms were going to be, and frankly I'm glad I didn't know.  And I don't think Noah or the animals getting on the ark were aware of what was about to happen to them either, or how long it would take for things to get back to normal. 

When we carry on with our daily lives oblivious to the indicators that storms may be coming, we could be caught unawares.  But if we are diligent at keeping an eye on things, we can avoid damaging winds that could be costly.  Its so easy to keep looking  at the same things all the time and never see how far we've gotten course.
What's wrong with this picture?

three different thicknesses of yarn!
After spinning the entirety of the military blue (midnight blue?) wool, I realized that the last skein of yarn was way thinner than the first and the second skein. Little by little, I was spinning finer and finer.  Dangit!

In order to be more consistent I now have a little string of bright purple yarn that I look at whenever I'm spinning.  Its keeping me where I need to be.  I want to spin this fuller and fatter for a bulky yarn; keeping the ply as thick as the purple example is my goal.

purple standard

future bulky yarn (can you see the face?)
Sitting down to knit at night is such a treat for me.  I really look forward to the whole creative process.  I've made it past the afterthought heel thread and I'm finishing the foot.  Soon I'll close the toe and  begin the heel, then on to the second slouchy sock!

Betsy's slouchy sock #1