Friday, April 6, 2012

Rorschach Booty



With all the opportunities I have to learn, this one takes the cake . Or the booty if you will.
I started to make the first of two baby booties and found no diagram on how the thing would be put together.  Usually when you buy something that has to be put together, you get a little picture, even if its in Chinese and the grammar is wrong. At least there's a picture, for goodness sake!

But when I had made over half of the first little shoe, it was looking strangely like one of those Rorschach ink blot images.


I had to really turn it around a few times to figure out what went where.  I have made clothes and have some idea how to fit pattern pieces together, but I haven't made any shoes lately.  (Where's Gepetto when you need him?)

Somehow, when I turned it about the fiftieth time, I saw where the toes would go and how the back of the heel sections would need to be sewn together.  Voila!


I am pleased with how easy this has been and I realize that making a few pair will be a lot of fun, adding little touches once I find out if the baby is going to be a boy or girl.  Not too much bling, mind you.

Last week, I had a little friend come over for a knitting lesson.  She is a natural and after we'd looked at what she'd made since the last time I saw her, I asked what she'd like to learn.  She said she wanted to make a hat for herself.  Now flat knitting is one thing and I figured that wasn't what little V was looking to do. I knew this would mean knitting in the round, which is a big jump for a beginning knitter.

Well let me just say that before the hour was up, she'd made two little practice hats.   (I told you she was a natural!)