Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Devil and the Details

Yesterday my sweetie and I had our "date" day; the time once a week that we devote to our relationship, just as if we were courting almost 29 years ago.  We stopped by the guitar store so my hubby could pick up some strings, and then we visited one of my favorite places - Cheekwood Botanical Gardens.
Its a lovely estate that quietly shows off the architecture and greenery of the Old South.
Chair Art

Cheekwood - click to see the large ball of yarn in the distance!

Newly planted landscaping
Howe cottage

Jamie and the new Howe Garden
We really enjoyed our visit,  then we stopped by a great new restaurant in town called Sopapilla's and then headed home.  I love my home, and my garden has produced some new vegetables for me this year - sweet potatoes, banana peppers, and patty pan squash.  My apple tree had lots of good fruit this year, too. Love it!!

An apple a day...

I've been knitting away on the last of my baby projects, The Little White Dress. It has lace trim on the bottom and that's all I have left to do, but it seems like its taking forever!
sewing shoulders

Picking up the neck band stitches

sewing up the sides and arms

starting the lace trim

knitting more of the lace trim

It's all pieced together except for the trim, and I'll block and attach it today, I pray.  Such a pretty project.
Putting all the pieces together

I also finished the little jewelry roll from the last post.  My daughter has really encouraged me to start an Etsy shop, so I set one up.  Just not sure what to do next....
Jewelry Roll

I frogged the striped socks and have decided to finish the pink Swallowtail Shawl next, before starting any more new knitting projects. 

We're watching Hurricane Isaac make its way into the Gulf of Mexico, skirting Tampa and heading toward my Mom & Dad's house.  I'm praying for all of my family's safety and well being.
I battle a lot with fear and anxiety when these storms show their ugly faces.  I remember watching the Tasmanian Devil on Bugs Bunny as a kid.  He was this snarling, angry creature that wreaked havoc wherever he went.  You knew that it was a cartoon and it never seemed to matter, but in real life, things like this aren't so funny.  Everybody knows a Tasmanian Devil, who rips to shreds everything in its path, with complete disregard for what's left in its wake.  Its hard not to hate these creatures.  Sometimes its disease, sometimes its disaster, and sometimes its a real live person.  Mostly the best thing we can do is to stay out of its way, along with those we love and care about, and pray for those who aren't able to do the same.