Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

Monday could not have been a more splendid day. I don't use that word carelessly, but it's the only one to describe it. Grilled steaks on the patio, steamed broccoli & cauliflower, corn and buttered french bread with espresso and homemade ice cream. We spent the day with my son & his lovely young lady friend, taking our time eating, walking downtown, doing a little grocery shopping and relaxing with a movie.

We had visited my daughter and son in law in Memphis on Friday (leaving after work on Thursday and returing first thing Saturday morning . We had a wonderful time visiting Mud Island, DD's work and DSIL's law school. We were treated like royalty the whole time. My daughter even fixed us little breakfast sandwiches the morning we left, for our road trip. Such a sweetie!








And I noticed that the wrap I knitted her for her wedding was laying neatly over the footboard of her bed. She said she keeps it there.





My current project has a deadline. October 15. That's the date of the first frost and the project is my son's blanket. I've been working on it for about a year now, and it keeps getting put aside for smaller, quicker-to-finish projects. But now I realize that there's no reason not to complete it right now. Before the weather turns cold.


I thought my son knew it was for him, but I'd never mentioned it until the other day and he was truly touched. What a blessing to see the look on his face when I told him! That alone lit my fire to finish quickly. I've taken it to the movies, in the car, to bed; you name it, and I've take the blanket there.

Funny how you think those closest to you know everything about you. Not so. My husband didn't know until Saturday that I had a bird (parakeet) as a teenager. Can't believe I never told him! I kept it in my room and talked to it every day, changing the water and paper in the bottom of the tray. I wish I could remember the name of that bird, good ole what's his name.