I realized that my last blog post made no reference to why I purchased $50 worth of silk hankies. No, I don't blow my nose that often. My old blog smittenwithknittin was hacked back in July, so you can't see my old posts about spinning silk from 'hankies'. (They are produced from the cocoon; wet, spread out and stretched out over four nails to make little squares when dried.) I spin the silk from the hankie on my spinning wheel and I've added a link, but you can google the process to find out more.
Here is the caterpillar I mentioned in my last post. Note the size compared to the leaves on the tree (river birch)!
My son's blanket is going to be very functional. I wish it were going to be pretty and lacy and delicate, but he wants a blanket that actually keeps someone warm. Imagine that. An afghan that doesn't have holes in it for your toes to stick through. Hmm.
Below you can see four panels plus the one on the needles at the far right of the picture - so five panels that will be sewn together.


This blue is a blend of wools that had exactly the right amount of twist. You know it's right when it doesn't kink up when laid down. The colors look different, and reality is somewhere between the two photos. I'd say Baby Blue.
I'm used to blogging twice a week and have been doing so since the fall of 2004. My old blog was hacked in July and I haven't blogged much lately, so this may get long. I hate that all my old posts are gone. Completely gone.
I'm used to Wordpress and this is of course Google's version so nothing looks like I want it to. Placing pictures, adding links, etc. is very different, so that makes each step take just a little longer than I'd like, but at least I don't have to resize photos. I'm learning! And at least I'm writing. My knitting suffers when I don't have a reason to keep at it. The thought of a blog-post keeps me diligent with my projects.
And speaking of writing, we have a little book that was inherited when my husband's step-grandfather died. He was an English/music professor and the book is called, "The Elements of Style". (maybe we got this from hubby's dad who is a semi-published writer) ANYway.... the book is very, very short and gives little rules on how to go around the rules of grammar for the sake of the reader. It's hard for me to break rules, since I guess I'm a perfectionist. Text should be grammatically right. And right is right. Right? But this book says no.
The book is highly regarded in literary circles. William Strunk who wrote the book must have been a hoot to work for. He stressed that it would be much better when if we kept the "reader" in mind. That seemed to be his goal. Life is that way too. We can be right all the time, but if the people we're trying to communicate with don't understand what we're trying to say, it can be very frustrating.
My son's blanket is going to be very functional. I wish it were going to be pretty and lacy and delicate, but he wants a blanket that actually keeps someone warm. Imagine that. An afghan that doesn't have holes in it for your toes to stick through. Hmm.This blue is a blend of wools that had exactly the right amount of twist. You know it's right when it doesn't kink up when laid down. The colors look different, and reality is somewhere between the two photos. I'd say Baby Blue.
I'm used to blogging twice a week and have been doing so since the fall of 2004. My old blog was hacked in July and I haven't blogged much lately, so this may get long. I hate that all my old posts are gone. Completely gone.
I'm used to Wordpress and this is of course Google's version so nothing looks like I want it to. Placing pictures, adding links, etc. is very different, so that makes each step take just a little longer than I'd like, but at least I don't have to resize photos. I'm learning! And at least I'm writing. My knitting suffers when I don't have a reason to keep at it. The thought of a blog-post keeps me diligent with my projects.
And speaking of writing, we have a little book that was inherited when my husband's step-grandfather died. He was an English/music professor and the book is called, "The Elements of Style". (maybe we got this from hubby's dad who is a semi-published writer) ANYway.... the book is very, very short and gives little rules on how to go around the rules of grammar for the sake of the reader. It's hard for me to break rules, since I guess I'm a perfectionist. Text should be grammatically right. And right is right. Right? But this book says no.
The book is highly regarded in literary circles. William Strunk who wrote the book must have been a hoot to work for. He stressed that it would be much better when if we kept the "reader" in mind. That seemed to be his goal. Life is that way too. We can be right all the time, but if the people we're trying to communicate with don't understand what we're trying to say, it can be very frustrating.