I recently had a change of heart about something. The concept is very simple to explain, but extrrreeeeeemely hard to put into practical terms. I am now acutely aware that my attitude has been bad lately. I think I’m not alone in this. Having a bad attitude is so acceptable today that it is now the norm, and those with a positive outlook are mocked or viewed as simple and naïve. “Well, if they only had to do what I have to do…” or, “Just wait till they …..” The problem is, that we spend so much time complaining, and have convinced ourselves that these things outweigh the good things in our lives.
So, I decided last week that every time I think of complaining about my job, I will stop. It’s mostly mental, those thought patterns, you know. So if I stop it in my brain, I will be less likely to say it.
I confess, I had a little session of complaining this morning to a co-worker, and realized shortly after, what I had done. I’m sorry, Lord. Please forgive me.
I am blessed with a very good job, a sympathetic boss, and kind, honest co-workers.
Our law office recently moved to a larger space and has sub-let part to a group of three heart surgeons who do consulting work. There are no patients coming in and out, just admin support of about 10 girls and the 3 docs. One of the girls is always reading in our shared break room and today she had a novel that I’ve got on my iPod. We’ve both just started the book and she and I were equally excited to have someone to discuss it with. See, there’s a blessing right there!
I went to lunch and came back with a free sample from Starbucks. Another blessing!
I was going through my client files today and was about to cancel an account for non-payment when the mailman brought me a check from that very person. Yet another blessing!
I could go on, but you get the point. How much better to focus on the positive – it makes the negative pale in comparison!
Oh, and one more blessing - my spinning group meets this Friday at lunch! Woooo Hooo!