Before we moved to Nashville, I had pretty much two things I looked forward to doing when we got here. One was playing tennis at a big tennis center in town; the other was visiting the Mary Engelbreit store at the Opry Mills Mall. I have yet to play tennis at the center, and the M.E. store closed shortly after we arrived, but at least the new M.E. calendar for 2010 is out and I love it. The title is Take Good Care. Colorful and bright with adorable children on each page.This morning I've spent some more time taking care of my new flower bed/garden. It has been quite rainy and on the pretty days, we've had plans so this morning I made a bee-line for the back yard before anything got in the way.
The grass I dug up has died and it was much easier to break up the clumps and pull out the roots, etc. I realize that I will not be able to dig up under the little tree in the corner, because the roots of the tree extend to what I call the drip line. I don't want to kill the tree so I'll probably put down some kind of tarp to kill the grass and then I'll lay some stones to 'pave' underneath. I'd like to put a small bench or chair there - the view is really nice and I'd like a focal point.
I reached a knitterly challenge this week with the sapphire sweater. After knitting in the round for 12 inches, you find the center front, turn around and start knitting in the other direction. This is where the V-neck comes into play.
Soon I'll have to stop a the armholes and then the sweater will have three sections. (Back between armholes and two front shoulder sections. ) This may be a difficult thing to picture unless you've sewn or made garments before. Well, let me tell you as an experienced seamstress (I used to make all my own clothes) and a semi-experienced knitter, the decreases for the neckline, continued increases for the bust and stop-start stuff for the arms is a bit like the guy on the talent show spinning lots of plates at the same time! I thought my job took concentration, but this takes the cake.
And speaking of cake. I went to a friend's birthday party last night. She turned 50 and a few of her friends gathered around to wish her well. The time was short, but we love our friend and would not have missed this for anything. Happy Birthday Janet!!