It takes me a long while to make up my mind about a thing, but when I've decided, I've decided. I'm not wishy washy and I typically stay with something for a long time after making a choice. I think it has to do with not liking change, and feeling a certain comfort with things staying the same. I love my 'things' just the way they are, thank you very much!
I went with my husband today to look at phones; mine is up for an upgrade and I had an unfortunate experience the other night. I got lost after the police had redirected traffic in a part of town I was unfamiliar with. It was dark and I wasn't comfortable with my surroundings, even though I was in a very safe part of town. I did find my way home eventually, with my trusty road map, but DH insisted when I got home that I get some kind of GPS and for the price, I should go ahead an upgrade my phone with a built in GPS.
That night I realized that there are two things at play when you lose your way. One is the way things look. I saw all the cars following a certain path when we got detoured from the main road. I wasn't sure, but thought, "how can I go wrong? they must know where they're going, since they probably live around here. I'll just follow them!"
The other way to think is to follow the map that you know is right. I pulled over, checked the nearby intersections and eventually found my way home. What a valuable lesson; one that I learned in high school about peer pressure. DON'T follow the crowd. When you have a map, use it. When you have information that you know to be true and reliable, follow it, not the whims of your circumstances! Say no to peer pressure, kids!
So how does this fit in with my knitting blog, you ask. Well, I'll tell you. Sometimes, when everyone is switching to knitting socks toe-up, you can stay with top-down. And when everyone is switching to magic loop, you can stay with your trusty DPNs. I'm not against progress, but I am for making decisions on purpose and not just because it's the popular thing to do.
I love knitting with these DPNs!
I went to my LYS to find some more. (These INOX are teflon coated, you know.) But the store didn't carry them. So I guess I can find another LYS that does carry them, using my new GPS!! Ha! How's that?




