Sometimes we're told not to worry with quantity but quality. That's true with leather shoes and good makeup. In other words, one pair of good shoes are better than a dozen cheap pairs of shoes. One good blush that costs a lot will last ten times longer than drug store blush. Agreed? But, on the other hand, a marriage that lasts for 25 years is considered a to be a very valuable thing, if for no other reason than that you've beaten the odds, by the sheer number of years that the marriage has lasted.
When I married my husband twenty five years ago, I had high hopes that it would last, but I knew the statistics were not necessarily in my favor. I've known lots of good people who tried very, very hard to make their marriage work and they did not find success. I feel extremely blessed and out of the ordinary to be a part of a marriage that has lasted this many years. It is something I'm asked about over and over again, and I can only say that I have a wonderful husband.
He is truly a kind, loving and forgiving person. He is selfless and generous. He is a wonderful father to my children and he makes me laugh every single day. We get along so well, it's hard to imagine anyone else making me so happy and content. He is the love of my life; my friend.
I have never knitted him "The Love Sweater" and yes, you know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not superstitious, I'm just smart. The curse of the love sweater is real, not because there's a real curse, but because making a sweater for your man is just a bad idea. Like cutting his hair. Some things are best done by someone else. Comprende?
Now it is perfectly legitimate to knit gloves, scarves and hats, with the understanding that they 1)picked the yarn and 2) they were aware of the pattern you were going to use. Making a hat is one thing, but making a Where's Waldo hat is woefully wrong. A great hiking scarf or plain rib scarf is almost always acceptable, but making a Harry Potter scarf for a grown man is foolish.
So, I've made exactly one scarf and one pair of socks for my man. I think that's enough.
My daughter requested this beautiful moebius scarf (infinity) and I believe I've completed it tonight. I will let her look at it tomorrow and see if it's long enough for her, then I'll join the ends. There's enough yarn to add several more rows if necessary, but I don't want to knit and then rip. I rejoice that I've gotten all my Christmas knitting projects done before the deadline. I am grateful!
