Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sunshine on a cloudy day

The Uncle Albert sock stared at me the other day; rudely, if I may say so, until I picked him up and started picking a hole in his middle until he settled down.  He was trying to get my attention, I'm sure, and well, he got it!

I've reminded myself of how dumb it is to used a waste thread for the afterthought heel that is virtually the same color as the sock.  It was nearly impossible to find the dad-gum stitches!

I finally got them all on a couple of needles and began knitting around the heel opening and decreasing the number of stitches.  Hallelujah! It's time to put that UFO to bed!

I have been watching more than a reasonable amount of YouTube videos of weaving techniques.  I am ready to try the direct warp method.  Instead of doing the whole warp thing on a warping board with a criss-cross, etc, (you weavers will understand), I'm going to try the Readers Digest condensed method where you just pull the loops through the heddle slots and cut and thread the holes.  I need to pick up some warping yarn on a cone soon.
But I'm way, way too tired to do that tonight.  I'm having a hard time typing this post to be honest.  It has been a long day (several days actually) and I'm ready to prop my feet up tonight and watch a movie.  I plan to knit on my red wrap because it's bright and I don't want to wear my granny glasses to read a pattern.

I just want to do some of that plain ole' brainless knitting. That phrase is just laying on the table ready for a smart remark but please don't do it, okay?   Remember how tired I am right now?
 
We had a nice cup of coffee last night after dinner, outside on the patio.  The birds were all feeding, before the storm came through.  The wind was blowing but it was warm and the sun had not set yet.
Those are the kind of moments I cherish. Just talking and chatting about nothing in particular. Enjoying the moment.  That's when you know you are real true friends.  

Lately I've been seeing a little something making the rounds where a well known person does something pretty impressive for a little less than 10 minutes.  This small act has convinced lots of people that this person is the real deal.  Someone to admire, respect, and support.  This really, truly bothers me because I know for a fact that anyone can act "all nice" in public for short periods of time especially when a lot of people are watching.  But take a look at  that same person under pressure.  Watch that person when they are seriously inconvenienced, or even pushed just a little too hard ( beyond their comfort zone).
Do they lash out at others? That is when you need be forming the decision about whether this person is the real deal or not.  Whether they should be respected.  How do they treat the people who work for them?  How do they talk about their fans, employees or support personnel?  Do they become rude and impatient, demanding that somebody  take care of this 'thing' now? We should ask ourselves, "Do I act this way?"
It's extremely important that we not continue to teach our young people that celebrity is to be admired.  Rather lets applaud character, kindness and integrity.  Truthfulness and patience should be rewarded.  I love the quote that says, 'Be nice to the janitor, he may own the company someday!'  You can bet that he will remember who treated him poorly back when he was "just a janitor".