Sunday, June 5, 2011

Card of Many Colors


The new issue of Spin Off magazine has a great article about spinning self-striping yarn.  When you're aiming at self-striping yarn, you usually think of roving that's been dyed for that purpose.  This method in the magazine is so simple and obvious that you think, why didn't this occur to me sooner??  Totally worth the price of the magazine, just to get some inspiration; so there's my challenge.  Beautiful cover and great articles!

I was so inspired that after carding a little wool yesterday, I had to give it a try today.

I have only spun the singles, so I won't post those pictures, but the semi-circle above is a rough try at carding with distinct color ways. 

The idea of laying your locks side by side and making rolags of different is the premise of the article, but I did my carding on the drum carder.  I can't wait to ply the yarn and try knitting a swatch!

Here's my latest FO.

I finished the Coral Cables pillow front and cast off this afternoon. The fact that this only took about two skeins of yarn gives me hope that one day I will use up the yarn in my stash, since it consists of two skeins of every color known to man.  Hope is a good thing!

We are making plans to take a trip soon, to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Columbus, Cleveland and Ft. Wayne. Woo Hoo ~ Our anniversary was back in December but we're just now able to get away! I'm looking up all the yarn shops in those cities, and my husband has already bought tickets for the event he wants to attend in Ft. Wayne.  If I play my cards right, I might just have some self striping yarn to take with me.  Hope is a good thing!

Sad news about the Cocoa Bear hoodie.  In piecing it together I've somehow managed to not make something correctly and I don't know what.  There are vague piecing instructions so I've had to rely on my sewing know-how to manage, but clearly I'm not good enough.  It's just not going together like it should. Best thing is to lay it aside and pick it up later when I have  fresh eyes.  (Exhale and sigh. )