Monday, June 20, 2011

Vacation Day One

I'm officially on vacation.  I'm not at the airport or waiting to take the train into the city.  I am on my very own patio, sipping strong coffee, wearing my oversized T-shirt and shorts, enjoying the breeze.  Lots of kids are  playing  in the surrounding back yards, but I can't see them because of the privacy fences and trees.  I like it that way.
It feels like I'm already out of town, because I've turned off my mental clock.  The one that says I better hurry up and get (blank) done before (blank).  My biggest obstacle to vacationing is my state of mind, period.  So I'm mentally undoing everything that might have been on my mind to trouble me.  I'm about to embark on my  25th anniversary trip with my dear hubby (DH). Being with him is always a vacation, because he takes care of everything, probably better than a travel agent or tour guide.  I get to be a tourist and not do anything.  He does all the detail stuff and he really enjoys it, I think. Anyway, he does it all and I only have to pack.  We're not going anyplace fancy so I don't have to pack high heels or dresses that might need pressing. Just jeans, shorts and flip flops, t-shirts and sundresses.  Yes!

I've got my knitting bag ready to go; the purple cabled pillow top with an extra set of needles in case the harmony needle tips break at any point.  Mind you, I will be going to at least one yarn shop in each of the cities we visit.

The first stop will be Columbus, OH where we're meeting with some old friends of my husband's.  He toured with them, back in his rock & roll days and I've never met them.  We leave first thing in the morning, driving not flying, and my son and his wife will be housesitting while we're gone, so we don't have to stop the mail, turn on lights or move trash cans.  No worries!  Just hitting the road.