Saturday, June 18, 2011

Ducks and stockings

I've got a hankering to do some fair isle knitting recently.  I think that's a good sign, since it requires concentration and I've haven't wanted to do anything but mindless knitting lately.  There are literally thousands of fair isle designs and variations and I have some favorites, but am willing to try something new and maybe a bit more challenging.  In fact, I'll let you in on a secret.  I'm thinking of trying a Christmas stocking.!   With all the heat of the summer, sometimes I just need to look ahead a little.  Further down the road than the weather forecast can predict.

In the past I've made mittens, a vest, a sweater and some socks.




Fair isle is not nearly as difficult as you might think, and well worth trying, especially if you already knit in the round.  Watching the pattern emerge as you go is like getting a prize from a gum machine.  It always is a little different than you thought, but not necessarily in a bad way.

The colors choices are endless and the only really hard part is keeping up with the chart.  A few years ago we went to Memphis and I stopped in a yarn shop and bought this magnetic board.  It's a great way to keep up with the lines of the grid, and believe me, you will need help.  A sticky note or something to stay on track.  Do not trust your eyes - take it from someone who's been there.  No matter how sure of yourself you are, you will eventually get off just a little, and you won't know it for at least one or two rows.  Un-knitting several rows of fair isle is no fun.  No fun at all!

I used to do a lot of cross stitching back in the 80's.  I had all kinds of embroidery floss and a million cross stitch charts for some reason.  I don't know why, but ducks were extremely fashionable back then.  I remember a particular job I had as a loan officer, where there was lots of scrap paper in the copy room that was mine for the taking.   I would copy duck patterns for cross stitching on the backs of botched loan packages.  That's probably illegal today and anything confidential like that is shredded immediately.  But those were simpler times. Ha.

Anyway, I gave away all my cross stitch stuff over a year ago, and I am on a mission now to find just the right fair isle pattern. Merry Christmas!