Sunday, July 24, 2011

All I've got is a snowflake!

This week has been busy, preparing for and moving my father in law in to our house.  He is such a joy to be around and has a childlike quality at times; lighthearted and very kind.

Truly without a sense of guile or selfish ambition.  He's a writer, artist and all around good guy. We are honored to pay back this man in such a small way for all the years of sacrifice that he made for his family.


So with the preparations in mind, you'll understand why I only got a row a snowflakes done on the Christmas stocking!  This has been such a fun thing to do, with a lot of creativity to play around with.  Here is a piece of wrapping paper I've kept as I worked on the stocking.  Isn't it lovely?  Maybe I'll use red and white for the next one!



I have also spun the tiniest bit of gray wool - water for a thirsty soul, and I have GOT to make more time to spin.  It is such therapy for me!!!

My house tends to be a pretty creative place. My husband is a songwriter and musician.  I met him in 1983 when his band played at my college's chapel service.  The band was a religious group that toured year round and lived predominantly on a bus.  He had toured before that group with secular groups and was intrigued with this new kind of Christian music.  He soon after devoted his career ambitions to a much more religious purpose and later enrolled and graduated from the college I was attending.  I was there learning 'how to be a missionary' which I now think is a misnomer.  Anyway, several years later he was teaching a guitar class at a seminar for church musicians and one of his students was Gov. Mike Huckabee, the Fox News contributor!

Jamie and Mike 1993
We watched Huckabee interview Benjamin Netanyahu tonight and I remembered this photograph, which I stumbled upon while cleaning up house for my father in law's arrival.  A lot of water under the bridge since then!  I had the privilege of traveling with my husband over the years, and one of my biggest honors was to visit the Philippines with him.  Here is a snapshot I took at a stadium; it was very hot and humid that night and people had walked literally for hours to attend this concert, many of them barefoot!
10k Filipinos singing a song my husband wrote - what an exciting night!