Thursday, July 28, 2011

Knees and Toes

Tennessee morning
The top of the stocking starts just below the knee (obviously) and completes at the tip of the toe.  I finished  the foot portion of the stocking today with a row of hearts and made terrific progress on the toe decreases.  I said toe (singular) and I mean it, because there will not be another toe to do!  What a beautiful thing.  NO Second Sock Syndrome.  When it's done, it's done. ( Okay, except that I will need to pick up the stitches for the afterthought heel.  But then,.....THEN it will be done.  I mean it. )


I am gathering inspiration for the next stocking, and have lots of ideas, but nothing set in stone.
 The beauty of this stocking was that the patterns all lined up exactly and there was no fudging on making certain fair isle motifs fit into the number of stitches in the sock.
Four pages of inspiration!
I think there are around 72 stitches, which may not be a prime number, but does set some limits on the patterns. 

Tonight I have to change the subject and brag a bit.  We went out for pizza with my daughter and her husband and his family to celebrate the end of his educational career. Goal met!  He took the bar over the last two days and is finally done with school, after having been a student since age 5.  Most of us never know when we're finished, because we have no clearly defined goals.  I admire the hard work, effort and student loans that are behind this degree. (If he passes, that is - we won't know till October!  But I'm sure he will.)
There are a few other good things on the horizon for our family, and I will say, it's about time!  When the most hopeful and joyous thing in your life is a Christmas stocking, you're hard up.  So glad to have some things to celebrate!  Hallelujah and woo hoo!  So, just for fun, and to get you in the mood, checkout this video about Knees and Toes from some more ESL friends!  It sounds like they're from Tennessee, but it sure doesn't look like it.  ;-)