Monday, December 19, 2011

Mise En Place

This morning I was catching up on some subscriptions I get on my Kindle, one of which is a foodie blog called Epi-Log from Epicurious.  I have learned a new term this year called "mise en place" which is French for putting in place or everything in place.  The idea is that before you start a recipe, you get out all the ingredients, making sure you have enough of everything and don't have to go on a hunting expedition in the middle of the process.  I love this new term because I totally identify with it.  I am one of those people that craves things being organized.  Maybe its a control disorder, but I like to have my ducks in a row before I begin something.  It helps me believe I'll actually be successful.  It frustrates me to see people rush into something before counting the cost and/or making sure they've got their stuff together.  Some people aren't even in a rush, they just don't care. 

So when you knit, you have to know you've got enough yarn for the project.  When you take a road trip, you fill up the gas tank and bring enough money for food on the way.  When you go on a picnic, (you get the picture!)
But then comes the inevitable Debbie-Downer moment when you think you've done everything right, and you still fail.  Wah whaaa.

I have re-knit these gray slouchy socks twice now and am about to start the third go around.   This time I'll just rip out the entire foot of both socks from the ankle down, and reduce the heck out of the number of stitches around, trying yet again.


I had to add a third more stitches to allow for the cables in the leg portion, but the stitches are not necessary for the feet, which have no cables, they're just plain knitting.  Now if my daughter had feet like a bear the socks would have fit, which they do not! (Me growling like a mother bear protecting her cubs.)

So here we go again, hoping and praying that the third time's the charm.

Now to show the festive blue hat, made with three shades of peacock (?) yarn.  Blended in gradient fashion.  Cue applause!








Isn't it lovely? Its warm and loose and soft, just right!

So where do we go from here?  Once I knock out the gray socks, I hope to start the cardigan.  I swatched some pink yarn for gauge over the weekend, but it was busy and once I got the stitch count, I ripped it out without taking a picture. Whatever.  FYI, 4 stitches per inch on size 6 needles - too fat for the project and I don't have enough yarn.  I'll need 1,000 to 1,200 yards and I only have about 800 yards of the pink I was swatching.  It takes a while to hand spin 1,200 yards of yarn, I'm here to tell you!  It may be a while. 
Don't tell the others, but I'm contemplating buying some acrylic yarn from Joann's instead; maybe dark chocolate brown so no one will know.