Monday, December 26, 2011

What kind of catchy title should I name this post?

It seems so cliche to post pictures from Christmas, and I really just want to do what I'm supposed to do and keep this blog about knitting. But I feel so bad to not put at least a few pictures at the end of this post from the last few days so if you actually want to see them, they're below.  (I honestly wonder if they're not like my vacation pictures, or like the lady on the plane who wants to show you pictures of her grandbabies.  I don't want to be like that I swear!!)
~~~~~~
I've made an excellent, and I do mean excellent start on the Mr. Rogers sweater.  I'm using some soft pink yarn that I couldn't sell to a blind man.  It is a light gray-ish blend that got dyed pink but kept a lot of the spotty gray characteristics.  It  looks like dirty yarn to be honest,  like it got dragged through the mud and not washed out properly.  I will dye the whole sweater black when I'm finished. That will save me the headache of knitting with dark yarn, which is a pain if you wear reading glasses. Well anyway, here goes!

I cast on for the sleeve with a smaller needle size 3, completed the ribbing, increased all around, then switched  to size 5 needle.  Circulars of course.  I happened to cast on with some antique straight needles (the size 3's)  and my wrists were hurting in no time.




Here is the pattern I'm using and yes it has been out of style for several years, but now folks seem to be wearing these grandpa sweaters all the time.



I  really don't care if it looks out of style though.  I am past the point in my life where all my decisions are based on what people think of me.   That's not to say that I dismiss all others' opinions.  Not at all.  But I am capable of making a few decisions on my own, and one of them is the style of sweater I can knit.  (I realized once I typed this that it sounded enormously lame. You're right.)

My knitting goal for this year is to make a cardigan, and if I am even the least bit successful, I will try for a second one that can actually be worn in public.  I make no guarantees about this first one.  Like the first pancake that always gets thrown away, like some kind of sacrifice, this first sweater (cardigan) might very well end up in the pile labeled, "Not to be worn under any circumstances - this means you".
 Wish me luck!!

Okay, here are the holiday pictures. I got some really nice presents including some cool makeup from my daughter (and son in law)  pictured below!  My big present was a new Maytage stove/range/microwave which I have used literally every day since I got it.  Wow, I am thankful for it!!


Stockings & socks
Lovely hand painted shoes from my friend - click to see spinning wheel just like mine and a knitter in a tree!
She also made me these great cake pops!

Fruitcake from my mom - I love fruitcake!!
We have thoroughly enjoyed this Christmas season, remembering Whose birthday it is.  We attended a lovely candlelight service at our church and still have one more day to go.  My son and his wife are coming tonight for the last of our gift exchanges.
                                                               Gingerbread House!
 I also spent some time making a gingerbread house and I'll include some progress photos of that now.  This was way more fun than these pictures can convey; I did a little every day up till Christmas Eve!