Saturday, December 10, 2011

December Surprise!

In the midst of getting guest rooms ready for company this weekend, I happened to move some things around and come across a little bag of swatches I had made earlier this year.

 They are all made with yarn I received every month from a yarn of the month club my daughter bought for me for Christmas last year.  One of the best and most unique gifts I've ever gotten!  So I dumped the little paper sack of samples on the bed and realized that there was a sample of yarn I'd never made anything with.  Woo Hoo!

What a sweet surprise - and I'm sure I was saving it for later.  Like finding an extra mini candy bar leftover from Halloween.  What a treat!  Now I can't think what to make with it.  But give me a minute.  I'll come up with something.

I also took up the mantel to finally remake one of my favorite sweaters, and the first sweater I've ever made.

When we moved to Tennessee, I visited a local yarn shop (LYS) and told the lady I wanted to make a sweater: simple, pullover with no challenges.  She helped me find needles, yarn and a pattern and it pretty much knocked a hole in $100.  I know that might surprise you, especially if you have a ton of hand knitted or crocheted "gifts of love" from someone who thought enough of you to make something.  But believe me, no matter how little you thought of it, she thought a lot and spent a bit too!  Anyway.....I digress.  I made the sweater as best I could given the directions and measurements I took.  It turned out pretty well, except for the fact that it was more appropriate for an orangutang.  Arms too long and chest too short.  So I ripped out what I could and balled up the yarn the other night.  I will the give the alterations my best shot next week.  I feel pretty confident that after 10 years of knitting since I made the thing originally, I can probably figure this one out!

This little blue hat has a few more rows on it now, adding in some lighter wool of the same shade. I blended and spun this yarn last year in a gradient fashion.  Four skeins, each progressively lighter.


Two inches of the deepest blue, then two more inches of one-shade-lighter. 



These little bits of hope and joy are pretty timely for me.  The early part of this week, including last Sunday were not my best days emotionally.  Some days are like that.  Not all days are good, or you'd never know the difference.  But, things got better as the week wore on and I am confident that next week will be really good.  My husband and I are planning to do some fun, couple things since his dad will be away for a while.  Papa's going to visit his other son in Birmingham for the week, so we're going to take advantage of the opportunities to paint the town.  Or Target.  And maybe Starbucks!