Sunday, December 4, 2011

Three Easy Payments

Every item that might sound too expensive at first is usually advertised not by its actual price, but by a third of the price.  Three easy payments of.....
It seems to me that we're either too cheap for our own good, or bigger suckers than we'd previously thought.  The things I'd really love to have are almost always way out of my price range.  Take for instance the cute purse I saw at the luggage store.  It was more than cute, judging by the price tag.  When I commented about it in the store window, hubby said, "Go on in and see how much it costs".  But my response was, "Oh, its at least $150."
Wrong.  Try closer to $300!  See what I mean? I'm too cheap for my own good.
So now you know why I'm a spinner.  I love great looking yarn for knitting, but it usually is way out of my price range.  The yarn on Etsy that I finally decided was worth a second look costs $95 a skein.  What??  So, I'm a spinner, who can start with white or gray wool, silk or alpaca and end up with beautiful, colorful yarn, perfect for any project.

I decided to vary my dull gray existence with a little color - something spicy from south of the border, so to speak.  Doesn't this color just remind you of a wrap skirt in an exotic country?  Its supposed to rain the next couple of days and then turn cold, just in time for Christmas.  That means I need to pick up some firewood!


I'm making a little knit cap that's knit flat and sewn up later.  I started with a ribbed border and switched to a rib variation for the body. 

The gray socks are beyond the afterthought heel thread and I will start the toe soon. No pics today, sorry.

My Christmas present arrived Friday afternoon, and was completely installed just before we had to leave for dinner with friends.  I love these folks, but all I could think about all night was my new stove!  I went to bed that night feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve.  I woke up and looked at the clock in the middle of the night to see how much longer I had to wait before I could get up and try it out.  It was only 11:45 so I just had to go back to sleep.  When I did wake up, I made a pot of coffee on the stove, but then was afraid to use it any more.  I didn't want to wake anybody else up, but also, I just didn't want to mess it up.  So clean and pretty and shiny.  And by the way, there's a new microwave too.  They kind of go together nowadays, because of the stove hood factor.   And the microwave went out last week anyway.   So, I made molasses cookies and split pea soup.  Both old favorite recipes.  And today I made pot roast with vegetables and a pot of rice which boiled over. Dadgummit.  Clean up will always be a challenge, I'm told, but its worth it!   Can I fix you something to eat?