A long time ago, in a land far, far away, I bought some recycled denim from a friend who'd had it in her spinning stash. Its cotton and I have never had much success spinning cotton. Until now, that is!
In learning how to adjust the drive band and tension properly on my wheel, I've now opened the door to spinning cotton. Something that just tickles my heart to death! I feel so proud of myself!
This stuff is so pretty and makes such a cool looking yarn that I believe I could even sell it, just on the granola factor alone! Its got nubs of blue and white and gray and feels really soft. And what a great way to re-purpose!
After conquering this blue denim, I got out my very old bag of camel colored cotton, gave it a whirl and, Lo and Behold, I did it again!
It goes very slowly, but that doesn't discourage me a bit. You see, I have tried and tried to spin this stuff on my newly acquire charkha and even on my tahkli spindle. No bueno. So when I found success with my beautiful Kromski, I was charmed and delighted. Great experience!
Now if you're wondering what happened to my cardigan, I will tell you something that will shock the pants off of you. I had to rip out some of the shoulder work. I know, close your mouth. You can't believe I hit a snag. But I did and was not going to be slowed down. I frogged the sections that needed changes and re-knit them within 24 hours.
The mistakes were in the pattern, but they just as easily could have been my mistakes, I've made so many! Either way, I'm back on track and knitting the last section before construction and button band phase. Woo hoo!
In the latter part of the week, I had the chance to visit with a dear friend, the wife of my husband's writing partner. My husband is a songwriter, and we live in the Nashville area, so its not uncommon for writing sessions to occur, at least in my world.
So I tagged along with my hubby Thursday to have a cup of coffee with my friend, and look at what she'd made! It was the most delicious cranberry anything I've ever had. This was a cobbler/pie with nuts and oats and brown sugar. Uh-mazing!
She keeps her plants indoors during the winter and I just had to snap a photo of her "conservatory".
Later we took a walk by the railroad tracks near her house. She and her husband have been walking down this little lane for years and I can't believe I've never walked it with her. It was very cool and the walk was brisk, but really invigorating. I love cool weather, so long as its not wet!
I talked to another friend this week and we spent a good bit of time talking about food and healthy food in particular. She's very knowledgeable. It really inspired me as I was grocery shopping yesterday and we had a wonderful meal, including some roasted acorn squash that I made like french fries. I baked them in strips with a little oil, sea salt and Chinese Five Spice.
I got two thumbs up from the guys in the house and have now decided to plant a whole lot of acorn squash in my new vegetable garden. Today I'm planning to go buy my garden seeds and dream of the summer. Want to come along?


