Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sheep to Sweater


I'm nearly there with the cardigan. I feel like it's taking a while but my goal was to be finished with this cardigan in 2012.  I think I'm gonna make it.  What do you think?


I love the whole feeling of going from a fleece to a wearable garment.  It is the ultimate in low tech procedures and one of the most satisfying things I do.

I saw yet another documentary yesterday on how the digital world is affecting our brains, our attention spans, and our lives.  Not all technology is bad, and I'm a huge fan, so don't get me wrong.  But I find that time spent doing something manual is very worthwhile.  And if its good for me like exercising or taking medicine, why not?

I worked in the garden this morning, planted some seeds.  Another low tech thing that makes me feel good.  I know for sure that this is keeping me one more step away from Prozac, and that has got to be good!

one ounce batts of wool

angelina fibers

I carded about 4 ounces of wool today, mixed with Angelina fiber and added those batts to some I'd already worked on previously. Aren't they pretty?  Just a little sparkle and very white wool.  I've washed this before and some of it feels clean and some still sticky, so I'm only working on the cleaner batch.

I am trying to "spin down" in 2012 which is a challenge I read about online.  The goal is to spin all the wool you've got in your stash by the end of the year, which is a little out of my league when you look at this stash!
Stash of fleece, some carded some raw, some washed
You may be wondering about my reading goals for the year.  I pretty much decided to read only existing books, and by that I mean that I'm not going to purchase a new book this year if I can help it.  I am currently reading a paperback that was on my shelf from 2005, that I had put down because a shady character had used a cuss word that I didn't care for.  I realize now that while it may have bothered me at the time, I now see it like I might view a painting at the museum.  There are some things I'm willing to overlook when trying to appreciate art.  I remember when a politician decided a few years ago to cover a naked statue with some fabric to keep the statue's private parts private.
I don't want to be that way.  This book I'm reading now is really very good.  Its by Elizabeth George and she's written quite a bit.  So this one, A Place of Hiding, is somewhat long, and takes a little concentration.  Its actually very interesting as I've gotten into it, and I don't feel like I have to concentrate very much at all anymore.  I'm in it!

The next book I read is probably going to be To Kill a Mockingbird.  I have a nice, brand new hardback on the bookshelf just waiting to be read!